SOME LIES

"The truth is, honey, everybody lies." He shot her one final smirk before walking away, barely pausing long enough to kick an empty come can aside. Shruti didn't know what to think of that familiar move.

"Raj..." she murmured his name, an old ache in her chest where her heart used to thrum. The road seemed to blur, and she knew it was her tears.

Blinking back the tears, she wondered what reminded her of her first heartbreak. Was it something she heard? Was it that little kid playing football with a coke can? That annoying ringtone of that woman rushing by, that was his favorite song?

Shaking it off, she tried to forget the six-year-old ghost of her memories. Six years, and she still remembered the details of his face. She snorted to herself.

Her phone buzzed in her hands, pulling her out of her thoughts. One glance let her know it was her boyfriend of three years, and she forced a smile into her face.

"Hey, Uday." She said softly, walking down the pavement.

"Hey, darling! I am sorry I didn't call you yesterday like I promised. I will make it up to you soon." He promised, his voice caressing her mind.

"It is okay. Listen, I am almost there. I will see you once you get home," she said hurriedly, feeling guilty. "I love you."

'The truth is, honey, everybody lies.' His voice rang in her head, tormenting her. She knew she deserved it. Wasn't she also a liar? She didn't love Uday, but she also knew he was a catch.

Feeling like the lowest of scum, she absent-mindedly took his call.

"Honey, you just got off the phone with me! Miss me so much?" She teased, her heart not into the conversation.

"I needed to tell you something, but you hung up. I am going abroad for a while, I am leaving in an hour. I called to let you know I won't be home for a few weeks." He explained.

"What? Why didn't you tell me!" She shrieked, finally paying attention. She screeched to a halt, standing stock still on the footpath.

"It is a sudden plan. Calm down."

"What on Earth! You have been quiet for weeks, you haven't been yourself, and now, a sudden trip? Are you kidding me?" She narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

A second's silence was the only warning she got.

"You really pretend to care, don't you? Do you think I don't know that all this is some ridiculous plot to make your ex-boyfriend jealous? Who is this Raj, anyway?" He spat out.

She dropped the phone, not waiting to hear more.

"The truth is, honey, everybody lies." He shot her one final smirk before walking away, barely pausing long enough to kick an empty come can aside. Shruti didn't know what to think of that familiar move.

"The truth also remains that the lies come out eventually." She spat at him, careful not to let her tears show.

Her memories churned, not blurred by her tears. She blinked, desperate to escape, and broke into a sprint, leaving the shattered phone on the footpath.

She sprinted towards the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel was in her mind. The light wasn't.

The last thing she saw was the horrified look on the driver's face. The last thing she heard was his voice in her mind, replaying her memories.

"Oh, go to hell, Shruti." Raj said, not looking back as he walked away.

***********

(27/05)

deepsealife