Who Needs A Hero?

The alley was dark, and heavy with some presence. The girl walked past, unconcerned, not noticing the ominous quiet that seemed to thicken at her sight. Her red slacks swished at her ankles as she strode briskly ahead.

She only looked around when she felt herself being yanked back by a grip on her wrist.

"What is a good girl like you doing, walking in the dark?" The man hissed, his face masked by cloth and darkness.

Squinting against the dim streetlights, she struggled to see his face. Fighting to escape his grip, she looked around desperately for escape.

"Let me go!" She insisted, hands reaching for her pepper spray. He didn't let her. She could swear he had rolled his eyes as he snatched her defense away from her trembling hands.

"You don't need that, not any more," He spoke gruffly even as he pocketed it. "Now hand me that purse of yours."

Shaking, she held it out.

"Please, just let me go. I am not carrying much money. Please." Her voice cracked as she turned her dad brown eyes at him.

He didn't look very moved.

"Where do you live?" He grabbed her by her shoulders and shook her.

"W-what?" She mumbled, confused.

"Your address. Where ever you were headed to. Tell me now, and things can go smoothly." He growled lowly.

Shakily, she pointed to the end of the street, where her apartment awaited in darkness. Nodding, he pulled her towards her home in silence.

The two minutes from the alleyway to her house wracked her fraught nerves. Trembling, she followed the man.

At the front step, the man turned, before handing her things back to her.

"Here you go. Don't travel alone in the dark again." He grumbled, walking away.

"Hey! Wait a second!" She exclaimed, having found her voice again. Here turned, eyebrows cocked questioningly.

"I was meaning to say this, but I wasn't sure if you were one of those good guys." She said breathlessly, walking up to him.

His eyes crinkled in confusion, and the mask couldn't hide the innocence and honesty in his face.

She sighed, taking a calming breath, before shoving a knife into his chest with the speed and ferocity of a cheetah.

"Thank you for trying to protect me, but the one who needed the help is probably already dead in that alley. But it is the thought that counts, right?" She spoke pleasantly, looking into his eyes even as they drained of life.

Gently lowering him to the ground, she reached for her keys from her bag. Taking her phone out, she wiped the blood off the screen, before unlocking it.

'Extra terminations cost more, the bill is doubled. Job done.', she messaged her client, smiling.

deepsealife