DECEPTIVE WORLD

Meera watched Ashish as his fingers worked on his phone. Today was the day they had first met, and she was determined to make it a special one. Meera was ready to confess her feelings for Ashish today.

"I'm going to meet my girlfriend tomorrow," Ashish said, enthusiastically, keeping his phone aside.

What! "Since when did you have a girlfriend?" Meera asked, shocked by this revelation.

Ashish was the shyest person she had met in college; especially when it came to girls. He would hang around with his friends, laugh with them, chat freely. But when it came to talking with a girl, he was always short of words.
Wait, could he mean me? Is he giving a hint?

"Oh, haven't I told you? I just met her a week before. But since then, it's been like I've known her all my life," Ashish replied.

How stupid of you Meera. He likes someone else. As much as it hurt her, Meera was still curious to know how it all happened.

"Don't jump to the end Ashish, I want to hear it all," she asked.

And for the first time since their time together, she saw Ashish blush.

"Rashmi...." Ashish started, "Her name's Rashmi. We met on Facebook last Sunday. I was just surfing, and I stumbled upon her profile. Maybe that simple pic of her, or the fact that she lived in our town, or that we're the same age; I don't know, I just felt like I had to know her."

When did my Ashish get this bold. Meera thought.

"......and she accepted my request." Ashish kept on.... "........then the messages started. Slowly at first, in the mornings. And then, from the last two days, we've been talking the whole night. I don't know how, or when, but I just fell for her."

Meera was left aghast listening to all this. They talked all night! This part of the online world she hated the most. Talking day and night, and even with people you don't know. How could they?

Guess she knew now. How her shy, timid Ashish had swooned a girl online. Her Ashish!

***

"So, how did the date go?" Meera asked as Ashish returned after meeting Rashmi.

"I don't know Meera. I never imagined it this way. We had talked day and night whole week, but today, facing each other; we didn't have anything to say. I stuttered to even say a simple 'hi!'" Ashish confessed.

They both were left with just one thought, Is it really that easy online?

***

What do you think on this?

Have you had/have any such friends?

@cchinu (19/02)