My Best Friend

"Come on boy... Come on." I call him, after prattling and playing with him for about an hour. It is our routine for more than ten years now.

I don't care how hectic my day maybe, I never missed a day from being with him.
______________

"Happy birthday!" I heard my father's voice sing-song to my sleeping self and a smile crept up my lips.

I opened my eyes to the little white American Eskimo and I fell in love him, instantaneously. He was just a week old pup when I got him at my eighth birthday.

"What shall we name him?" I scrunched my nose while I raked his hair gently.

"Why don't you pick one?" He smiled, encouraging me.

"What about...mm," I was in pensive, scrambling through my favourite names and finally making my mind on one, "Tristan?"

His eyes popped out in excitement and his mouth formed D as in the emoticons, "That's a pretty name."

I know my blue eyes glistened, at that moment.

"Tristan!" I called him tentatively.

You and I are going to be really great friends.

From the day forth, I and Tristan were inseparable.
_______________

Once, I took him to school in my backpack.

"Do not make a sound." I patted him and he shook his head.

He had been a good boy, until that dumpster Eric pulled my hair in the playground and I cried out in pain.

Hearing my wail, Tristan jumped out of the back and came charging at Eric who ran away hollering in fear.

Later, Tristan licked away my tears that bought a shimmering smile on my face and he seemed more than satisfied.
____________

One day, my neighbor threw a stone at Tristan. Hearing his whimper, I ran out of the house and learnt, he had been hurting Tristan. Rampaged, I threw stones at the neighbors window and trashed their garden, as a revenge.

The consequence of my actions were hard, like we had been grounded for, like a month.
But, I didn't mind spending time with Tristan, indoor.
___________

"Dad, we are going to the conventional store to get Tristan's treat. Do you want anything?" I yell, dramatically, watching the excited Tristan.

"No honey. I'll call you if I need any." He is probably in his garden.

Taking the bicycle, we reach the store in less than five minutes.

"Take your pick." I smile and stand near the pet food's aisle while he saunters up and down the aisle, probably making his mind on which treat he wants the most.

Finally, he makes his pick and we walk to the counter where another man stands, pretends to shuffling through his purse for the currency.

He sees back and forth and when he sees me, he grabs my little body, places a gun behind my back.

Tristan hollers, sensing the danger but the man stomps on Tristan to silence him.

I yells with each stomp Tristan receives.

"Stop it please..." I whimper but he don't have time for me.

He blackmail the shopkeeper to empty the collection into the small bag he gives. A thief! Is there no cop around to help us?

The shopkeeper does as he says. Taking the money bag, the thief drags me along with him, watching around for any intrusion.

The only challenge he gets is from Tristan. Tristan lungs himself for the thief and bite his leg that makes him wince. The thief shoves me to the nearby rack and takes a shot.

I yell, fright dreading my heart as hell.

I steady myself from my fall and stumble through the things.

The thief is gone.

I heave out a heavy sigh. Where is Tristan?

The shopkeeper is near, gently rubbing his neck, "He took the shot for you." He whispers.

No! My eyes cloud while my nose burn with the tears welling up. They flow lavishly down my cheeks. My Tristan! Why does it have to be him?

Tristan is in the pool of his own blood, his snow white fur is soaked in the red fluid. He is not moving. Only his stomach goes up and down as if he is struggling to breathe. My heart suddenly feels like an iron bar in freezer, cold and heavy.

I crouch near him, my tears drenching him. The ten years flashes in his half open eyes that is fixed on me.

He has eyes only to me! I wailed.

"No Tristan. Please... Please... Somebody help him. Help me." I ask the shopkeeper and other onlookers but no one budge from their position, only stands silently, hanging their heads.

I crouched closer to him. Kiss him and repeatedly, apologise for putting him in the position. He licks my tears, like he did when Eric made me cry.

With that, he closes his eyes once and for all.

I can't take it. I can't ever take him away from my heart.

I can't forget the day when the thief took my best friend away from me just for holding onto some green papers.

Evenif I can have another American Eskimo, it won't be Tristan.

Tristan will my best friend forever! No one can take his memory from me, not the thief, not the money, nothing.
______________

Hope you liked the story!

LOL
Aki. Akiprabagar (13/02)