The lady with the green papers

A spotless white car strode elegantly through the busy streets of Mumbai. On the streets crowded with the black and yellow, the car stood out from many a miles. When the others around it were still dusting their way through; the car leaked of money all along the way. And a logo of four rings twined with each other on its hood was just a cherry on the top.

"I'm getting late Ramu, drive fast," a woman's voice could be heard from inside the car.

The woman was just another pawn on the board of the game people played in this city – a city which always rushed. With something always on stake, the people took pride in introducing themselves as the ones who were always in a hurry. The moment they got late would be the moment when the sky turned upside down. And in this never ending race, Deepa was just another participant.

Ten years ago, she came to the city of dreams having only one goal – to make it big. It would be an understatement to say today that she made big. The CEO of the Big Leagues Management was a title Deepa had achieved with rigorous hard work. Managing those big celebrities who were famous all around the world, Deepa had herself become a celebrity today.

"Don't worry madam, we'll reach there right on time," her driver replied hitting his leg on the pedal.

But in this race to get ahead of all, people always forget the most important player of them all – destiny. It always carries that whip with itself to teach you the vital lessons of life on the right moment, the lesson to stop and look around.

Just as Ramu had said those words, he had to slam his right foot hard on the brakes. They were taking a turn on their way, but in order to please his madam, Ramu took it too fast to notice a beggar crossing the road. Fortunately they didn't hit him, but the beggar now stood right in the middle of the road halting their path forward.

Deepa knew she should acknowledge Ramu for stopping just in time to save the poor soul. But instead she found herself getting angry at him.

"What have you done Ramu?," she said her nostrils flaring , "Now you're making me late for this all important meeting."

Ramu tried to drown her shouting amidst a loud blaring horn, but all his efforts were in vain; because both the beggar and his madam were adamant in their behavior. The beggar continued to stare at them while standing firm in his place, while his madam continued to shout the hell out of her lungs.

"Now don't just sit there," Deepa bawled, "get out there and move him from there."

Ramu immediately stepped out and started pleading the beggar to move away. It seemed like the beggar's legs had grown roots at that place. Deepa watched the futile efforts of Ramu sitting in her comfortable seat. After some time though, she had just had enough.

She too stepped out of the car. Deepa went over to the front and yanked the arm of that beggar, making him to face her.

"What's your problem, huh?," she screamed on his face, "It's not like you have been hit or something, we stopped right in time. So what's the hold up? Just get off the road and let us pass."

But even the anger of a woman clad in crisp grey suit, something he couldn't even dream about, was not enough for the beggar to change his mind. Yes, he was safe today, they stopped right in time, but he won't be that lucky always. Someday, sometimes, someone was going to hit him. And the only way to get them notice the people like him was to put a brake on their life's speeding car. The day they would lose something, would be the one they realize their mistakes.

"Hey, you want money, don't you?," Deepa continued,

But she didn't even wait for his reply before striding to the car and returning with her thick purse in her hand. She took out some green notes and waved in front of the beggar.

"Here, take this and move away."

The beggar looked at her with an odd amusement in his eyes. How ignorant this rich people are, he thought to himself, thinking they could solve everything with their money. He gave a smile to the lady and waved a small can in return. Some coins cranked in it.

"I have my money madam," he mocked her.

Deepa almost chuckled at that, almost. But she composed herself just in time, not to show it to the beggar.

"No, old man, those are just some coins. They won't give you any happiness. While these notes, they can provide you all the happiness you desire."

All the heavens rumbled in her agreement. The sky above growled its consent and started to shower the drops of appreciation. The air around turned moist, as the little transparent droplets of water started to mix with it. And what followed, was a heavy downpour.

Deepa with her thick purse and the green notes ran for the shelter of her car. Those notes won't be of any use to her if they were to get wet. She sank on the rear seat, and praised her own self for getting in just in time. But when she spared a look outside, she saw the beggar still standing there.

He had both his hands sprawled on his either sides, as he turned a circle standing at his place. There was no better joy for him than getting drenched in the first rain of the season. This was the one happiness he could not buy with money, and he needed nothing more.

While all this rush of events, Ramu just stood there reflecting upon them. He couldn't help but laugh at the scene in front of him.

The man with coins enjoyed the rains, while the woman with notes searched for a shelter!

ȩ

By - cchinu

(23/05)