Horn saved the Day

"We need to come up with something else if the siren is not working," I said, wiping my sweat coated forehead.

"Horn is not helping," he accused, apparently pissed off, like me.

It was a summer day, vacation for most educational institutions, like it was for my nephew and me. We were playing in the terrace of our two storey house, my nephew happened to fall down the stairs and break his leg. There was a deep cut on his forehead and lots of blood loss.

I was fast enough to call the ambulance, even before I could announce the tragic event to my parents or his, for that matter. The ambulance service was in time, the driver claiming, he was in the vicinity.

Once we boarded him in the ambulance, I tagged along as I felt guilty for not taking care of him well, while playing. I should have warned him not to go near the staircase, which I didn't. I was lethargic, thinking that he would tackle any kind of situation, any kind of hindrance and smart enough to stay out of staircases. However, he proved me wrong and showed me, he was just a child of eight years.

Damn, I couldn't be more careless! I mentally cussed.

The siren on top of the ambulance was switched on, and blasting, the moment we were boarded and on the move. It was an old thing, old as much as my great grandmother would be, if she was alive. The siren connections shot up, after a couple of blocks, fuming out smokes like a smoker. Finally, it gave up and spread the calmness, like the peace after a heavy thunderstorm. Only the calmness was dreading this time, replacing the shriek of my nephew.

"Annaa*, what happened? Something's wrong?," I shouted at the driver, as my words were muffled by my nephew's screams while the nurse was attending to his wounds.

"I told them that the siren needed replacement, but those idiots never paid any heed to it...," the driver kept on ranting grudgingly, while pressing down the horn, like a gamer. I tuned him off. I wanted to come up with another plan - another vehicle perhaps, but I had no time to call upon another vehicle now.

The ambulance entered the traffic zone and the honking took a new level. Even with the siren screaming its head out, the crowd wouldn't bother to move aside, to let the vehicle pass. It would be a disaster without siren, not to mention the heavy traffic of a holiday evening.

"We need to hurry. I have dressed his wound, but there is a heavy blood loss. Look at him... He's tired," the nurse announced. She was a sorry sight, a lean body and nervous demeanor. I wonder how the hell did she became a nurse? For the profession needed broad, and strong heart.

Her statement made me look back to my nephew, whose bubbly colours were all gone, and looked pale as ghost. My sister-in-law; his mother sat at the corner, weeping quietly with her dupatta on her mouth, while the honking was the only sound that persisted.

Now, I had to come up with something, to get my nephew to the hospital, as quick as possible. Clearly, the horn was not enough. The ambulance got caught between two vehicles - a truck and a car, in the signal. I kept looking around and spotted some bikers at the side of the road, chatting and laughing.

"Annaa, wait here till I get back," I told him, but didn't wait for his response. Opening the passenger door, I hopped out of the vehicle, and walked briskly through the temporarily parked vehicles.

If it was any other time, I would have cringed back at the sight of the bikers, giving all the bad boy vibes. Not today. I have a request for them. I thought and darted myself directly towards them.

"Hi," I said, fiddling with my fingers, my palms sweaty.

They were not sure about my abrupt interruption in their glee.

"Yeah..." someone in the gang encouraged me to go ahead.

"Sorry... I don't want to disturb you guys, but my nephew met up with an accident and he is losing too much blood." From that I quickly explained them, as much clear as possible.

To my surprise, they were ready to help. They even suggested to take my nephew to the hospital through a short-cut. I was more than happy to see them willing. I elaborated my plan to them, and all of them showed me a thumbs-up sign.

Woah... Really I shouldn't have judged these guys, with just looks. I mentally noted.

The traffic cleared up as the signal was green. The bikers started their own vehicles, waiting to execute my plan. The ambulance driver kept on honking at the vehicles that took forever to clear. I jumped in, as the ambulance started to move inch by inch.

The bikers strode in, filling the gaps in-between the other vehicles.

Satisfied with whatever they were doing, I went to the backside to know how my nephew was doing. He was no longer tossing and screaming in pain, but laying calmly with half opened eyes, tear droplets dripping from the sides, drenching the pillow.

"I gave him a painkiller," the nurse informed and I nodded with gratitude.

As the bikers took their places in front of the ambulance, they started their job. They blew their horns in unison, making the surrounding vehicles or their drivers jump in atrocity. But we had no choice. This should be done. I felt better seeing they were doing a great job.

They kept honking without a slight hiatus, moving the vehicles aside and they drove their bikes madly, like they were on a race. Thus clearing the road for the ambulance.

"Annaa... Follow suit," I informed the driver and that was what he did, followed the bikers closely.

As my plan was on the go, I turned my fullest attention to my nephew. I took his limp hand in mine, and blew a small kiss, "Hold on... For we're near the hospital." I gave him a weak smile.

In no time, we had reached the hospital and a stretcher rushed to the parking lot to take my nephew in. I helped the ward boys and nurse to change him onto the stretcher. He winced while we moved him, but nothing major. I kept chanting soothing words to him, and stayed strong for him, until they took him into the hospital. My sister-in-law tailed the stretcher, that carried one of her lifeline.

I stood outside, near the ambulance watching them take him, in a such a hurry. A tear drop escaped my eyes when there was no one to see them trickle down my cheeks. I stayed back to thank the ambulance driver and the we-are-so-bad-stay-away-from-us guys.

As I wanted to thank the driver first, I made a beeline to the front of the ambulance, wiping away the tear drops. Quickly, passing my gratefulness to him, I then moved onto the guys.

When I was about to reach the hospital's parking lot, where they most likely parked their bikes, I see them going back on their way.

"Guys... wait up. I want to thank you properly," I called behind them.

They didn't stop, but turned back and gave me toothy grins. Some even gave me a salute. They didn't expect anything in return. I admired their big heart, but couldn't express it to them; not even in words.

I waved at them a small smile coating my lips, just a goodbye to their glorious hearts. In return, I heard them pressing down their horns in unison, as their acceptance.
______________

Annaa* - it means Brother in Tamil.

Akiprabagar (21/05)

Hi guys, I'm not being fair, running away like that for many days. Hope to be here frequently from now on...

Thanks for the support and keep reading...

Aki~♥