AN INVESTIGATION

"Why did you do it Melman?"

Melman looked up at the detective, sitting in front of him. The hot blood of the youth can be seen. His clothes looked well pressed and clean. The brown suit with those little white spots on them, perfectly suited the white shirt.

I've faced worse than this, he thought, this is just going to be a child's play.

His lips went wide in a smile.

"What exactly am I here for, detective?"

The detective didn't leave Melman's eyes, even for a second. The first impression that he got of Melman was that the man was experienced. He didn't look like he could commit such a crime. That blue suit of his looked quite worth a fortune. But the detective was not going to be fooled.

"So, you don't want to admit you did that, do you?" the detective asked raising his eyebrows.

Melman had to admit, the detective did have some potential. He didnt look like those who would threaten him and resort to inhumane ways to get the confession. Those green eyes that were constantly staring at him reflected an aura of calmness. At the same time, those broad and tight shoulders gave him a macho look.

"I admit detective, I didn't do it," Melman replied in the sweetest tone he knew.

A tiny, barely noticeable spark rose in the detective's eyes. He banged his fist on the table and spoke with a wide smile on his face.

"So finally, Mr. Melman, you do know what you are here for then...."

Melman was definitely caught off-guard. He did underestimate the detective. He needed to play the hand more cautiously.

"Maybe," he said, trying to get some points back.

A look of satisfaction settled over the detective's face. He knew he had won the first bout. But the game was still very young. And the opponent more adapt to the conditions.

"Then tell me, Mr. Melman, why are you here for?" He threw the ball in the opponents court.

Melman didn't take any time and replied instantly, "I am here to help you in the investigation of a murder."

"Oh! Thank you so much for reminding me about that, I had almost forgot. Brief me on it." The reply was quick giving no time for Melman to construct the further conversation.

Melman's instincts kicked in and his fingers responded. They started tapping a tune on the table.

Come on, hold it, Melman. Don't show those signs of nervousness, he thought.

He took a deep breath and replied calmly,

"The media report says that the murder was done on the night before yesterday. The media identifies the murderer as a man. A rather mysterious man in their terms. The witnesses that the media showcased claim that the man wore a long coat and a round hat on the top. Though no witness do seem to have seen the man, they say the man had thick beard."

The detective was stumped a little. He didn't expect Melman to tell this many things about the crime. He looked up at the beardless man sitting in front of him and assessed how expertly he had played the media card.

A weird silence followed in that brightly lit square room. Melman knew the trick had worked. He had forced the detective on the back foot again. He knew exactly what question was coming his way now. And he instantly heard it from the detective's mouth.

"And where were you that night?"

"At my house, watching the sixes game."

And the usual questionare followed then.

"Anyone who can testify?"

"You may ask my neighbour's dog. He did start barking when I celebrated the win of the sixes with a loud roar."

"Why the dog, and not the neighbour's themselves?"

"Coz, it was only their dog who was home that night. The neighbours are out on a vacation."

"Tell me what happened in the fourth period of the game?"

"The sixes did looked like they were lagging behind then, but McMillon hit a glorious homerun to level the scores."

The detective lost all his patience now. Surely Melman had done all his homework. He had coordinated the things perfectly, so as not to leave any trace behind. He was losing the game, and now he didn't have any other option but to let him walk free.

No, I still have one final play to make, he thought.

Melman saw the detective thinking intently. And suddenly, as if some switch was turned on, the detective posture changed. His nostrils flared as an angry bull. The chair he was sitting in fell back when he got up. Melman understood the detective was going to make one final effort.

The detective walked across the table and shoved Melman by his collar. He sweared under his breath and landed a punch on Melman's face. Then another punch followed and then some legs as well. The rage went on till Melman could take no more, and finally he blurted out.

"I admit, I admit. I was the one."

"And....cut.." The director shouted.

Claps were heard from all around, till the director spoke again.

"Marvelous acting guys, this is what I expect from you."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cchinu (04/01)

"It's a sight to watch,

When the horizon lights up,

With the hues of orange and red,

Before we turn the lights up."