HE AND SHE

The world looks so tiny from up here. I have been coming up since I was three. And never in this 15 years have I had the feeling that I'd fall.

When I walk on this rope, holding this long stick in my hand for balancing, it feels as if this is the whole world to me.

But no, this world of mine is not complete without him. He is the one who fuels me. He is the one who boosts my confidence.

When I watch him from up here, looking at me, his eyes seem to reflect that belief he has in me.

A belief, that I wont fall. A belief, that I'd return back to him everyday. A belief, that I'd never let him down. 

As I get down completing my act, I run to him and give a kiss on his cheek. This is what I give him everyday, as a reward for believing in me.

And everyday, he says, "Come on.......it can't be that hard."

I laugh at his innocent comment and give him a hug. Everyday.

But today, I don't know what got into me. I don't know why I said that, but those things don't matter now. What matters, are the words that came out my mouth.

"Oh really........than why don't you try it?"

It was just meant as a joke, a comment to mock him. I would never have said it, if I had the slightest glimpse that he'd actually go for it.

I didn't know when he went up, all I heard was people cheering for him. I turned around when I heard it, and instantly, my eyes darted up, looking at him.

If he had stolen a glance at me, he would have known that I never meant it. But no, he never looked down. He just kept on walking.

The people below were clapping for him. They thought its another act of entertainment. But only I knew, that it was an act to prove himself.

I watched him again, as he almost reached the middle of it. I have always found that the toughest, when the rope starts to play the tricks.

And the inevitable happened. That sound of clapping and cheering turned into a silence. A nerve dropping silence.

I started to look up at the rope, to see what has happened. But my eyes caught him mid-air. There he was. Falling.

I watched him come down, helplessly. But what could have I done.

He was halfway through the air, and I couldn't take it anymore. I turned the other way, not having the courage to watch the final act.

I cursed myself for allowing it to happen. For forcing him to take that decision. For making him climb the rope.

I was pleading in the court of my mind, but there wasn't a single moment where I could forgive myself.

That guiltiness was seeping all over me when I felt it.
.
.
.
.
'A light kiss on my cheek'

***

A/n

What relation did you give to He and She while reading this?

I wrote it thinking of them as a brother/sister.

But you can keep your imagination. .........

Lovers, father/daughter........

***

This story was inspired from some comments made by pranjaliaditi

***

cchinu (30/01)