First Love

She willed herself to not check her phone to see if he had replied. It had been about three months now. She hated that she was constantly checking his 'last seen at' status and yes, he had logged in just five minutes ago. Yet she couldn't stop herself. This sinking feeling to find absolutely no communication from him was becoming unbearable, almost torturous.

And then, just as she sat down in her chair, her phone vibrated. With her heart thudding in her ear, she unlocked her phone and stared at the screen. Finally! It was his message.

But when she opened it and read it, she nearly stopped breathing. She didn't know if he was joking or not. He had sent her his wedding invitation. Tears clouded her vision and she paled. All the memories of them together flashed across her mind.

In those five years of their life together, they had been the closest friends anyone would envy. Their friendship had begun with a simple 'Hai, what's your name?' and progressed to a level where they couldn't spend a single moment without each other. They had played a lot of pranks on their friends and professors. He had given her his shoulders to cry and shirts to wipe off her ice cream stained lips. They were like the opposite poles of a magnet that always stuck together. They were a cute pair in their college. Their love for each other were seen in their eyes and their whole college realized it, except them. They were the ones who acted like lovers but spoke like best friends.

A perfect time came for them to realize their love. It was their final days of college and they would be parting their ways soon. They wouldn't be able to spend their days together roaming out, making fun of each other, having a playful fight and late night long drives. Their hearts were heavy and the pain of drifting away was clearly visible. It was that night when they decided to go for a drive for one last time. He had fallen off from his bike and lay unconscious on the road. Her heart leaped out and she felt a part of her was being ripped apart. She had cried inconsolably that night. Only when he gained back his conscious, she felt her life had returned to her. She was trembling in fear and he hugged her tight. That night when the cool breeze hit them, they shared their first kiss. That moment she realized she loved him and he felt it too. They had never admitted it, fearing to lose the friendship they shared.

After a painful farewell they went back to their native places. They were in contact initially for two months. As days passed, the messages and calls from him decreased. At one point he had stopped contacting her and she was tired of getting no response from him. Though she tried getting away from him, her heart always stuck with him, with his memories. She missed him so much and so, she decided to confess her love. Just then she had received a message from him.

He had sent her, his wedding invitation which was in a week along with a message "It killed me to stay in touch with you when I knew I loved you. I knew you didn't feel the same way for me. I missed you a lot and I did the best way to stay away from you. I know it's too late to say this, but still I say, you will always be my first love and first kiss. Hope in future we get along as the best friends we once were."

She was shattered. She fell on the ground wailing loudly. She too knew it was too late now. She could have confessed a little earlier and she understood it was of no use now. She had missed the only love of her life. Even though she knew it's impossible to get along as friends forgetting his memories, she hoped for the day he mentioned.

***************************

Author - Kyra <3 (25/03)

They say it's never too late. But for certain things, it's always too late. If you love someone with all your heart, express it before its too late without fearing the outcome. Sometimes, the outcome will be the one you'll cherish forever :) :) :)

Hope you all liked the story :)