GRIEVING SOUL

It was the first thought that came to her as she woke up. He was gone. And, soon this bedroom, the house in whose eastern corner it sat, and the tiny garden outside with its gnarled old red hibiscus and the half grown mango tree they had planted together, all those would be gone as well. It was the strangest feeling ever. She knew she had to face all these in her life one day. But she never expected the day to come so soon. She was too young to experience all these. He had always promised her to be with her in times of distress, but she never thought he would break his promise causing immense agony. She missed the warmth that surrounded her every morning when she woke up. Her heart broke to wake up to a lonely house which was once filled with laughter. Though she locked up the grief that bubbled up in her heart, tears threatened to flow like a powerful stream. She failed miserably every time she tried to put up a strong facade.

Suppressing the tears and the pain, she went to brush her teeth. As she stood in front of the polished glass, holding the teddy bear printed toothbrush she stared at her reflection. Memories of him caressing her tousled hair, cute little toothbrush fights they had and the funny games they played with soap bubbles rushed through her mind. Wiping off the tears that spilled, she took a quick shower and descendant down the stairs. It was hard for her to live in this house as every corner of the house held memories of him. Wherever she went she was reminded of him and the good times they spent together. She had once tripped and tumbled down the stairs hurting her knee badly. Not able to bear the pain it caused she wailed loudly and that was when he had rushed to find her down the stairs with her bleeding knees. Without any delay he had carried her in his arms cuddling and consoling her. He made her lie down on the couch and dressed up her wounds and gave her pain killers. Putting her arms around his neck and hugging him tight, she dozed off in his arms with tear stained face.

Though she had not eaten since yesterday she did not have any appetite. Plopping on the couch she switched on the television to divert her mind. At once she regretted switching it on as the channel displayed his favorite sport cricket. Instantly, memories of them fighting for the remote control flashed across her mind. They always had an argument over cartoons and cricket and their argument picks up the next level of punching and pulling out each others hair and ends up with pillow fight. Memories of him haunted her and it was difficult for her to live. She wanted to end her life and join him in heavens but leaving her mom Lily alone was not fair. She was the only person left for Lily after Dananjay's demise. Her parents had abandoned her in the hospital where she was born. When Lily had come to the hospital with her son Dananjay, she had seen her lying on the bed wrapped up in thick towel with no one around to look after her. Her sparkling eyes, flushed and soft skin, tiny fingers and her innocent smile warmed the hearts of Lily and Dananjay. When the old ladies in the ward had told Lily about the baby's story her heart melted and she decided to adopt her and take care of her. 

Dananjay was 5 years old when Lily adopted her. Lily always used to say how Dan had loved her the instant he saw her. Though he was a child he had promised Lily that he would always watch out for her and be by her side as her best friend. Dan was a protective friend. He never let anyone harm her in her school. They had gone to their schools and colleges together. She was never bullied and was always surrounded by a gang of elder boys, who were Dan's friends. He never let her have a boyfriend fearing she might get hurt. They used to visit a lot of places and had lots of fun. One night, she was woken up by the sounds from her bathroom. She went in and was shocked to see Dan's clothes covered in blood. Panicking she rushed to him and held him tight. She was fooled when he lied that he had spilt paint when he was painting. After washing up and changing his clothes he went to the bed and hugged her tight. He sang a lullaby for her and made her sleep. Since she was just a twelve year old kid, she trusted him and went to sleep. But deep down she had a feeling something was wrong.