An Unforgettable Day

Annabelle turned to me with a glare. Her small hands were resting on her narrow waist, her elbows pointing outward.

" What? What happened?," I asked a little scared.

She was known to get into her mood swings and boss around people so I didn't want to take a chance by letting it go.

" Aren't you forgetting something today?"

" It definitely isn't your birthday...I would have remembered that.. "

I started scratching my head and thinking back to what on earth she was referring to. And then it struck me. Today's date, 14th of February.

How the hell could I have been so stupid? I had always woken her up with a kiss and a bouquet full of roses in the five years I had been dating her. Aaah......I was so frustrated. Work was so hectic these days that I forgot the most important thing and now my girlfriend was pissed.

Now I HAVE to plan something sooo amazing she won't forget. And brush off my forgetfulness as part of my plan, I thought. Little did I know that everything was going to go the opposite way of what I had planned. I decided to act like I still didn't remember the date to annoy her. And it worked.

" Oh yeah, it's been one year since we bought our car right?"

" Hmmph," she said, stomping away in annoyance. " You're incorrigible."

I chuckled inwardly and an involuntary smile crept up onto my face. Today was going to be a day she was never going to forget. I called up Taj Estate to book reservations for dinner.

" I am sorry sir, but we're booked."

" Isn't there anything you can do? You don't even have one table?"

" No sir, everyone booked in advance."

" OK thanks."

I hung up the phone, dejected with a sigh. Then I got a brilliant idea. I called up her mom, to put my plan into action.

" Hey Rachel, Ralph here. I just wanted to know, could you tell me the recipe for a simple Chocolate Cake?"

"Sure, definitely son. But am I allowed to be curious and ask you for what reason you want it?"

I laughed loudly at how polite she was being.

" Of course, I want to surprise your daughter.."

I made sure that Annabelle was nowhere around when I whispered" For valentine's day."

" Oooh, " her mom said. "Never knew you had bits of romance hiding inside you boy."

I blushed. I was so glad we were only on a phone conversation otherwise she would have teased me forever about it.

"Umm yeah.. ," I mumbled.

She chuckled. Then she told me all the ingredients I needed and also gave me step by step instructions on how to prepare it. It seemed pretty simple. I just hoped I would be able to make it as perfect as possible.

And I just had to wait for Annabelle to leave." Ralph, " she called. " Mom just called to say she has a mild fever and body ache and wants me to come over." 

"Alright baby. No problem, see you later."

I smirked after she left the house, shutting the door behind her. Her mother was far smarter than I thought. She had planned everything out.

I went over the list her mom made me write and made a note of some of the things I had to buy.Flour, Eggs, Powdered sugar, Baking powder , Baking soda, Butter , Cocoa powder, Vanilla Essence.

I went to the shop, bought all what I needed hurriedly and returned back home to start off my baking expedition.

First, I took the required amount of butter and sugar and beat it together till I obtained a creamy consistency. Then I cracked two eggs inside a glass bowl and beat it. I mixed the beaten eggs with this mixture. I sieved the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder and folded in the dry ingredients slowly. Once I was sure I had a good mix, I poured it into a greased and dusted tray and shoved it in the oven for baking.

For a beginner, I was doing pretty well. I realized that I had spoken too soon. Forgetting to switch on the timer, I left the kitchen to laze on the sofa. And that was the biggest mistake I did. 50 Wattpad messages and 100 Instagram notifications later, I smelled something very peculiar.

I sniffed the air and leapt out of the sofa. Oh no the cake! I had totally forgotten about it! It was burning. I ran back in and removed it immediately from the oven. But to no avail. I tasted the cake to see if it tasted okay. But it had the worst taste ever. What was I going to do now? In my haste, I had also managed to cake my face with flour and I looked like a complete ghost who had gone bonkers.

Before I could think of a solution to my problem, the door bell rang. I cursed. She was back. I had no time to do anything. I hurriedly slipped out of my apron, and went to open the door.I thought she'd be angry for messing up her kitchen. I got the totally opposite reaction though. She gave me a very amused smile and started chuckling.

" You look hilarious Ralph, what ever did you do?"

I gave her a sheepish grin, ducking my head, staring at the floor.

" Tried to make your favourite but it was a disaster."

She lifted my face up and caressed my cheek with a grin.

" Hey hey at least you tried."

Then she took my face in her hands and kissed me. Even though everything had gone wrong, in that moment I felt bliss. I tried to pull away and tell her that I'd get her a cake from the shop and roses from the nearby boutique but she just shushed me with a finger on my lips.

" That's not needed. I just want you."

So I continued kissing her like she had asked. I tightened my arms around her waist and showed her through that kiss how much I loved her and how much she meant to me. Her moan was the sweetest sound ever and I was lost in the moment. She tugged on one strand of my hair and whispered,

" I love you Ralph, no matter what. I don't care if you suck at baking. I am going to teach you. I love you so much for the effort you put in to please me and the way you take care of me. I love your dark brown eyes, your curly blonde hair, your ever smiling lips-" she lightly brushed her lips over mine " and your enthusiasm in life. I love you till the moon and back and I wouldn't change anything."

I was so overwhelmed with happiness at that moment that I couldn't think of anything to say.

" I love you so much too Anne and at this moment I am so happy that it's hard to think of any words to say. You are the best thing that's happened to me and I wouldn't trade you for anything. The day I saw you in the corridor, looking so innocent and blinking your eyes curiously, wondering where the biology classroom was, was the day I fell in love with you. I fell in love with your eyes first and then your heart. And the day you asked me if I believed in love, I knew for certain that I did and that I couldn't live without you in my life. Five years later, my heart still beats at the same rhythm for you and I love you to the moon and back too."

She smiled a radiant smile at that and I knew that I was whipped for real and I would do anything for her. This young woman had me wrapped around her little finger and I couldn't do anything about it.

My day hadn't been such a big disaster after all. I had my life in my arms with me, and I didn't need anything more. "Anne, you've made me the happiest man in the world!"

***

(07/02)

This little story is written by our guest writer Happyharshini

Hit that little star for our guest........

Any of you wanna do a guest post? You're always welcome.........