THE SUPERHERO TALES

The fragrance of coffee hit Anaya as she walked in the store. The 'Booklet' café with a beautiful library, was her usual place to hangout on weekends. When most of her friends enjoyed a party, she loved the company of the imaginary characters.

"The usual please," she ordered standing at the counter.

"Just a moment," Amar replied as he watched Anaya strolled to the long line of shelves.

Amar liked to chat with his customers whenever he got a chance. And in the past few months, he had got to know Anaya a little. He knew exactly what she was going to pick before she returned with a book in her hand.

"Another superhero comic?" He asked giving her the tea.

"You know me. I'm always in awe of their powers. And when they do the things we can't even imagine, that's the best moment," she replied flashing her usual smile.

Amar watched as Anaya took a seat beside the window of the café. The sound of vehicles boomed outside the window. But he knew that nothing mattered to her. She was lost in the world of her book.

***

Amar was cleaning the tables when all the customers left. All, but Anaya. She had made it a habit to dine with him after the café was empty.

"It just allows me more time to read," she excused.

Though he never pushed her, Amar sensed that the reason was something else. But who was he to complain? He took this as a gateway from his lonely life. And every week they ended sitting late through the night, chatting on some book.

Today was no different. Anaya was telling her how the superhero saved the girl from an out of control train. It was the same story every time. Some hero with unrealistic abilities would save a girl from the calamity and they would eventually end up being together.

Anaya was holding her last slice of pizza when she reached the climax of her story. The hero was about to kiss the girl when she heard a screeching sound outside the window. Before she could react, she heard the glass break, as a car hurled towards her.

Her eyes closed suddenly as the body braced for the impact. But nothing happened. It must have been real quick, I'm already dead, she thought. She opened her eyes slowly not knowing what she may find. But what she saw left her totally speechless.

The car lay there, suspended in the air, half-way through the window. a faint red glow surrounded the car. But the most surprising thing was that it came from Amar's outstretched hand.

Anaya couldn't believe her eyes. The boy whom she told all the superhero tales was himself one!

Amar slowly placed the car down and let out a breath. Why did I use my powers? He had rued it the moment he held that car in air. There was a life at stake, he consoled himself. But he knew better.

His powers had been the trigger of destruction in the past. The event clinched his family from him. He had been afraid of his own powers since then. He had vowed never to use them again, but there was no option today.

He glanced towards Anaya, who was staring with her eyes wide. He remembered those tales, where the hero saves the girl and then they kiss. But no, there was only one thing he wanted the most at the moment.

"This has to remain a secret..." 

⭐⭐⭐

(15/4)

"You've reached your final destination,

That last tag,

So go celebrate with your partner,

Go, raise that flag."