HIS 'BLIND' DATE

Raghav straightened his hair for an umpteenth time before taking a final in the mirror. That boy in the mirror surprised him a little. Because the boy didn't look a boy anymore, he was looking like a man. A man all grown up and ready to go on his first date. 

Raghav had debated in his mind on wearing a suit, but he knew how she liked him simple – the way he was. The last time when he had tried to impress Manini wearing a crisp shirt, a fitting pant and a tie to go with it, she had just laughed her heart out.

"Raghav," she had exclaimed between chuckles, "you know you don't need to do this. I like you for the simple and carefree guy you are."

Raghav liked this girl from all his heart, but at that very instant, he fell in love with her. Without wasting any time, he had engulfed her hand in both of his, sank down on his knees; and proposed in the middle of a road. The words that left his mouth that day were the words from the depths of his heart, with his mind not having any say in them.

Raghav saw a smile form across his face in the mirror as he remembered that moment. He was still amazed at his own courage for pulling this heroic stunt on the busy street of Pune. Young kids watched them with awe while the old folks threw them a look of disgust. But nothing had bothered him that day.

"It's just you and me, forever; ever," he recalled his words.

The soft blush that crept on Manini's face that day, Raghav knew it was all worth it. I'd do anything to watch that blush again; he thought in his mind as he straightened his hair once again. He had donned on a blue jeans, a simple t-shirt – just the way she liked – and a matching sweater to go on it. But no matter how much he tried, he just wasn't satisfied with his hair. That's when it struck his mind. He quickly ran to his wardrobe and returned with a nice looking woolen cap. He put it on and risked one final glimpse at the mirror. Perfect!

***

The cool breeze from the lake hit him even before he got out from the car. He had been to this place many times before, but the atmosphere radiated a different vibe today. It might be that setting sun, the fog which was settling down, or just the chilly weather; but he knew none of them really mattered. Any place just needed her presence to liven up.

Raghav made the small descent heading for their meeting spot today. He had chosen PawanaLake for two specific reasons – one because of the seclusion of the spot, and because it allowed all their senses to enjoy to their fullest.

He reached the outskirts of the lake and saw the two figures hunched over a small bonfire with their shadows dancing behind them. Raghav recognized them both in an instant. One was the most beautiful girl in his life, his girlfriend Manini, and the other was Deepak.

Manini must have heard him from far, because she looked up in his direction as soon as he started walking towards them. The other figure took a while to notice Raghav, but the moment he did, he said something in Manini's ears before standing up from his place. Deepak met him midway and gave him the familiar fist bump.

"Always keep my sister happy," he said before leaving the two lovebirds alone.

Raghav and Deepak's friendship dated back to their college days. They were the partners in crime whom every teacher was happy to get rid of. Deepak was the perfect catalyst he needed in his relationship with Manini. Manini, a smile crossed across his lips as he watched her sit there.

The bright light from the fire lit up her face against the fading light of evening. The cool breeze blew through her hair which was trapped inside her hat. Watching her, Raghav was proud of his choice of clothes because they matched hers perfectly – a blue jeans and a cute pink sweater over it.

Manini stood up as Raghav neared her, and waved a nervous hi in his direction. Raghav whispered an almost unheard "Hi" back, before confining her in his hug. Both just stood there for a moment, arms locked around the other's waist and their heads resting on the other's shoulder. A hug was something they both needed to calm their nerves tonight; and so no one was ready to be the first to leave their warm embrace.

Finally Raghav broke the trance as he took a step back. He held Manini by her shoulders and asked the question which had become a tradition for them.

"So, how do I look tonight?" he asked.

Manini scanned the boy in front of her from head to toe, but what she saw was only darkness in her eyes. She adored the efforts Raghav made to always dress best for the occasion. She could bet he spent more time on his attire than she did, and all that when he knew she couldn't see any of his dresses. And that is why she loved this boy more than anyone else in this world.

"I don't know why, but I can't get my eyes off you," she said with a cheerful tone, "But you were right. It'll just be you and me; forever, ever."

And then she did something which left Raghav spellbound. They spent the whole evening wrapped in each others arm, they even shared their first kiss that evening; but it was that one thing that registered in Raghav's heart for the rest of their lives.

She took his hand in hers and traced the words on his arm; the words to praise his clothing.

'You've left me speechless.'

***

cchinu (20/05)