Chapter 2

July 14th, 1996

Michael and Mariah had arrived in Brunei two days ago to rehearse on the actual stage to get a feel for what to expect. Mariah enjoyed watching Michael rehearse, where he was totally immersed in his element. It was the first concert Michael had given since 1993, and she had been apprehensive at first, but as she watched him prance around the stage in his Smooth Criminal outfit, she knew he was completely at ease.

"Mariah! Come here please." He said into the mic.

She walked up to the stage and he pulled her up. "Okay, so I need you to stand right here."

He led her to a spot on the side of the stage. "So the fans won't see you from here so we're going to a dry run."

This was their last rehearsal and the two prior to it had been them just harmonizing with one another, now she had to actually practice moving on stage with Michael, which would be a challenge. Mariah just walked around on stage, maybe she'd run  if she felt emotionally inclined, but Michael was a dancer and she was not.

She could hear what sounded like firecrackers going off as the dancers dropped to the floor, which was the end of  Smooth Criminal and the music changed to a soft ballad, I Just Can't Stop Loving You. 

"So Mariah, this is what I want. When I stop singing my part, I'm going to point and you walk from where you're standing and come on stage." Michael explained.

She picked up her mic. "Okay, Michael."

He started humming along to the music until the last line. "Love is the answer."

He pointed towards her and she walked out singing her lines. "I hear your voice now. You are my choice now. The love you bring."

He gripped her hand once she got close enough to him.

"Heaven's in my heart. At your call, I hear harps and angel sing. You know how I feel, this thing can't go wrong. I can't live my life without you."

He pulled her close to him by the hem of her skirt. "I just can't hold on, I feel we belong. My life ain't worth living if I can't be with you."

Then he pulled his mic down and shrugged. "So you get a feel for how you're coming in tomorrow. Can you not be as stiff?"

"I'm not a dancer Mike." She shrugged. "I'll do my best."

The music was still playing and Michael put one hand on her waist. "I still owe you a lesson. Come on, I don't need you doing full eight counts for this, just rock your hips a little, get into the music."

She started swaying her hips  and Michael started laughing. "Okay, that's a start. Now do it on beat."

He grabbed either side of hips and moved them along with the music for her. 

"Here's the beat." He started clapping it out for her. "Right here."

She kept moving, trying to keep time with the beat Michael was clapping, but she stopped once she saw the face he was making. "What am I doing wrong?"

"It just doesn't look natural. I can tell you're counting, that's the worst thing you can do. You need to feel. We can practice more at the hotel though." He gave her a kiss on the cheek and then hopped down the stage.

Guess we'll work it out.

July 16th, 1996

Michael had stopped to get Mariah flowers before the show. He knew she was irritated with him after their two days of working on her rhythm. Michael was not bad teacher, but he wasn't the most patient either. In the end, Mariah could easily move on beat with him, though he wasn't sure if she'd be particularly happy about it.