Chapter 48

December 25th, 1997

Mariah was moved to the ICU after hours of doctors scrambling to aid her. They told Michael that they managed to bring her back, but it was up to her now. He was still on edge, waiting for her to wake up.

As soon as the door opened Michael darted up, bum-rushing the nurse.

“Oh! Just the person I wanted to speak with.” The nurse said.

He looked at her expectantly. “So, what's going on with her?”

“She's recovering better than we expected.” She said with a smile.

He sighed in relief, grinning. “Really? That's ...can I see her?”

The nurse nodded. “Of course. She's still sleeping though.”

He instantly ran into Mariah’s room pausing before he got to the bed. He walked over slowly, gripping the metal railing, watching her sleep.

She looks peaceful.

Michael reached down, trailing his hand along her cheek. She subtly moved her head away. He took a deep breath before sitting down next to her.

Hey baby. I miss you. When they told me that you- When they- God I can’t.

“It’s okay.” Mariah mumbled.

Michael jumped out of his skin. He held onto his chest, hyperventilating. “Oh my God!”

Mariah smirked. “How are you?”

How am I?

“Uhh. You first.” Michael responded.

“I’m fine. I’m just tired.”

Tired?

Mariah gave a soft chuckle. “Not that kind of tired.”

For a moment they just sat in silence, staring into each other’s eyes.

“I love you.” Mariah said, breaking the silence.

Michael bit back a smile.

“Where’s my dad?” She asked.

“He’s in the waiting room.” Michael replied.

He could tell Mariah really wanted to see her dad, so he figured he’d see about bringing him in.

“Hold on.” Michael stood up and walked out of Mariah’s room to ask the nurse if she could have guests. The nurse said yes, but only two people at a time. Michael immediately walked to the private waiting area where his friends and family were.

When he stepped into the room, he just stood there letting a smile radiate from his lips.

December 25th, 1997

Jermaine sat in the waiting room for the third consecutive day waiting on his mother to finish up her dealings with Michael so could they go back home. He spent most of his time at the hospital and only went out to shower back at the hotel and eat.

“Merry Christmas everyone.” Michael greeted.

“How is she?” Alfred asked, curious as to why Michael was beaming.

“She’s awake.” Michael cheesed.

“Hey, can we see her now?” Brenda asked, frantically.

“Yes, but only two at a time. She wanted to spend some time with her parents so I’ll take the rest of you guys back in a second.”

“What about me?” Alison asked.

What about you? Jermaine thought.

“Yeah, you too. All of you. Actually, let’s just set it up right now.”