Chapter 77

December 3rd, 1998

Slam.

Mariah walked into the condo, the door slamming behind her. She put her coat on the rack and took off her snow boots. She walked straight into the master bathroom. Sitting on the edge of the bathtub, Mariah reached over and turned the ‘hot’ knob until it couldn’t go anymore. The water slowly hit the bottom of the tub, steam rising up and fogging the mirrors.

She walked back out of the bathroom, through the bedroom, and into the kitchen. She poured herself a glass of Merlot and sipped, slowly, savoring its dry touch. She put the glass down on the counter and licked her lips, tossing her head back. She shut her eyes and pulled the ponytail holder out of her head.

I could so use a massage right now.

She took a deep sigh and headed back into the bedroom, glass in hand. When she entered the bedroom, she took the bubble bath out of the cabinet and dragged her feet into the bathroom where she poured some into the hot bathwater. She put the bubble bath down on the edge of the tub and walked over to the mirror.

After wiping the steam off, she studied herself, closely. She had a zit coming in on her chin--probably from the makeup. She had small bags under her eyes from lack of proper rest as of late. And her skin was pale from the freezing cold temperatures in New York. She proceeded to pull out her makeup remover and wipe all her makeup off. Soiled makeup removal pads quickly filled the bottom of the wastebasket.

Turning away from the mirror, she lifted her shirt above her head and started back out of the bathroom. Piece, by piece, she undressed as she walked into the bedroom. Completely nude, she grabbed her wine glass and headed back toward the tub. She turned the water off and stepped in--the heat causing her to jump upon impact.

She tried again, getting into the jacuzzi tub with the water nearly at her shoulders. Her headspace soon filled with her earlier activities. Holding her breath, she slipped under the water--those same thoughts flooding her mind. But it played tricks on her, Tommy’s face soon fading into Michael’s. Images of being bent over Tommy’s desk replaced by dancing with Michael. Feelings of apathy replaced with confusion.

She jumped back up, catching her breath.

Shaken, she picked up the washcloth and ran it over her arm, letting it drape over skin.

If you lost everything I'd be standing by your side.

The washcloth gently scrubbing behind her ears.

I'll never betray your trust because I'm so in love with you.

She dropped the washcloth and looked over at herself in the mirror across from the tub. All she could think about was how she violated her vows by sleeping with another man.

What kind of wife am I?

She leaned back, trying to make sense of everything that transpired that day, and if it was really worth possibly losing her husband over.

You know what, what am I doing? It’s not that big of a damn deal.

She took a sip of her wine.

He wanted this. I did this for him. If he didn’t want me to fix it he wouldn’t have whined about it so much.

She sat her glass down on the edge of the tub and reached for the detachable tub faucet.

I am such a good wife.

She turned the water on and ran it through her scalp, massaging her head.