Chapter 96

December 17th, 1999

It was the first time in a while that Michael and Mariah went out on a date. Marlon and Carol had flown in to California, and Carol brought up the idea of a double date to celebrate Michael and Mariah's upcoming anniversary.

Carol laughed. "Girl if I could-"

The Maitre D approached their table, interrupting their conversation. "Good evening, my name is Ronnie and I'll be your Maitre D tonight. Can I start you all off with any drinks?"

Carol nodded and gestured to Marlon. "He'll have the Apple Ale."

"And a Margarita for my lovely lady." Marlon added.

Mariah raised an eyebrow and tapped Michael's arm.

He leaned over toward her ear. "What?"

"Order for me." She whispered back.

Michael made a face, shrugged, and turned back to the Maitre D. "I'll have a Coke, and my wife will have a Sparkling Water."

Mariah forced a smile on her face.

Ronnie wrote the order down. "I'll have those out for you in a moment."

Carol looked down at her menu. "Babe what you getting?"

Marlon looked over at Carol's menu and pointed at something. Carol nodded thoughtfully.

"That looks good, but I think I'll have this."

Marlon smirked. "You know you love your seafood."

"Yes I do."

Mariah sunk back in her seat and watched Michael scan his own menu with no real idea of what he was going to get. She realized she didn't even know his favorite food.

Three years tomorrow and I don't even know what he likes...damn.

"So what are you getting?" She asked.

Michael shrugged. "I was thinking about the Chicken Parmesan. What about you?"

"I don't know, why don't you pick for me?" She asked.

Michael looked puzzled for a brief moment before answering. "Why don't you try the Grilled Salmon."

Mariah nodded slowly, flipping to the seafood page on her menu. "Looks good. Thanks baby."

Carol giggled. "You guys are so cute. It'll be three years tomorrow, right?"

Mariah nodded. "Yeah! It's still very surreal to me, you know?"

"Yeah that's how it is for the first few years. You'll get settled eventually." Carol said.

Mariah glanced at Michael then back to Carol. I hope so.

"Yeah-"

Ronnie returned to the table with their drinks. "Is everyone ready to order?"

Marlon nodded. "Yeah, I'll have a steak, medium well, and my wife will have the rock lobster tails."

Michael turned to Mariah. "You wanna order first?"

Mariah nudged him and Carol raised an eyebrow.

Michael seemed to catch on and turned back to Ronnie. "Um, I'll have the Chicken Parmesan and she'll have the Grilled Salmon."

"I'll have those out for you in a bit." Ronnie said, taking their menus.

"Sounds great." Mariah said.

Carol took a sip of Marlon's drink. "That's good."

"Girl, if you don't drink your drink and leave mine alone." Marlon laughed.