Chapter 51

January 12th, 1998

“Michael!” Katherine called out as she walked into the kitchen through the garage door. “Come get these groceries out the car!”

Katherine used Michael’s recently delivered Mercedes the day before to drive back to her hotel from Michael and Mariah’s house. She decided to stop by a local grocery store on her way over to their house to pick up some things for dinner.

“Michael?” Katherine called out again.

After she sat two bags of groceries down on the island, she started over into the living room, where Michael’s robe was. “Come on now son, wake-” Katherine stopped in her tracks, shrieking at the sight behind the couch.

“Michael, what happened! Michael!” Katherine shouted in fear.

Michael stumbled down the stairs as fast as he could. “Mother, why are you-” He paused, looking down at the floor next to him.

“Oh god.” He responded, more annoyed than shocked. He rubbed his eyes and lazily walked over to the coat closet to grab a blanket. When he returned, he threw a light blanket over Mariah’s bare naked body.

He bent down over her. “Wake up.”

He gently shook her. “Mariah. Wake up.”

Still half asleep, she brushed his hand off. He rolled his eyes.

“Alright, come on.” He cupped his arms under her body and picked her up bridal style. They soon disappeared into the downstairs bedroom.

January 12th, 1998

Michael kicked Pat’s bedroom door shut behind him, struggling to hold Mariah up. She was still trying to sleep when-

Thump.

Her eyes shot wide open at the sensation of being dropped down on a bed.

Michael scowled at her and opened his mouth to speak--his voice but a chilling whisper. “Get dressed.”

January 12th, 1998

Mariah chewed her food aggressively in an effort to stomach Michael’s bullshit.

“So you forgot she had to tour and wouldn’t have long distance service there?” Katherine asked Michael. She’d just got done making lunch for Mariah and started on making lunch for Michael when she decided to probe into their situation.

Michael struggled with Nicole’s bottle before responding. “Yeah, it was just a mix up. My fault, really.”

Oh just shut the hell up. Mariah thought.

“Isn’t that right, Nicki?” Michael said, looking down at Nicole. “Daddy’s all discombobulated.”

For a moment they sat in silence--Michael feeding Nicole and Mariah feeding herself.

When he was done feeding her, Michael turned Nicole towards Mariah, laying her back on his stomach so she could sit up straight.

“Mommy, why did you leave me? I’m just a small baby. I needed you.” Michael said in a heightened voice.

Mariah grimaced. What the fuck is he doing?

Katherine looked on between Michael and Mariah, clearly confused.

“Mommy can you hold me?” Michael continued, pretending to mimic Nicole.

Mariah held her sandwich in both hands--her eyes burning holes through Michael.

“Oh come on, don’t be like that mommy.” Michael said.

Michael pulled Nicole’s arms toward Mariah so that it looked like Nicole was reaching out for her mother to hold her.