Chapter 89

July 20th, 1999

Mariah was sitting on the couch working on another song for her upcoming album. This song was a lot more personal than the last few she'd written. It was as if all her thoughts were haunting her at once, so she put the pain into a song.

I've often wondered if there's ever been a perfect family

I was resigned to spend my life with enemies and misery

A flower taught me how to pray but as I grew that flower changed

She paused, startled at the feeling of the baby moving inside her. Setting down the notebook, she gently ran her hands over her bump, physically making herself smaller. A smile crept on her face when she felt the baby's tiny feet beneath her palm. The smile quickly washed into a frown.

How could I even think about trying to get rid of you?

She moved her hand away, though the little one continued to kick.

I'm sorry.

As if to reassure Mariah, the baby kicked a bit harder, though not enough to hurt.

It doesn't matter who your father is, I'm your mother and I'm gonna make sure that you're loved and-

The tinkling of Michael's bell disrupted her conversation. She pushed herself off the couch and waddled to the master bedroom.

“Hey baby! What do you need?” Mariah asked, eagerly.

Michael stared up at her for a moment, grabbing her hand. He guided her down to the bed. His eyes studied her, almost like he was searching for his words.

“I don’t.”

Mariah cocked her head to the side. She noticed an eyelash lying delicately on his cheek and pulled it away. Before she could fully pull away from him, he grabbed her hand.

She jerked back almost instinctively. “What?”

He loosened his grip, glancing down at the eyelash between her fingers. “Nothing.”

She flicked the eyelash away and leaned her body so that her weight pressed down on her hand that was planted on the inner side of the bed. Unsure of what to do, she let her eyes trace the stitch patterns on the comforter. He simply stared at her.

What do you want?

Michael cleared his throat. “I-”

She shot her head at his immediate utterance.

“How’s the baby?” He asked, nervously.

‘How’s the baby?’ What? You had to call me up here to-

He started again. “I mean, is it moving around and stuff?”

Michael, you know the baby’s moving why would you-

“Not in a weird way but- I want to feel it.” He continued.

Mariah opened her mouth then closed it again. The baby was pretty active today but for some reason, right now, it was still.

She began to search her gut, trying to find her child in there.

Where are you?

Michael noticed immediately. “Is the baby hiding?”

Mariah flashed a nervous smile. “I think so. It does this every now and again.”

“You know, it would be nice if we could stop calling our child ‘it’.” He suggested.