Chapter 53

February 13th, 1998

Mariah quietly closed the door behind her and dropped her bag on the side of the couch. It was four thirty in the morning when she returned home, and she didn't disturb anyone. She was already wearing comfortable clothing so she didn't need to change before laying down on the couch, wide awake.

Mariah glanced over at the stairs then approached them. When she finally made it up, she paused in the hallway before going towards a room.

She took a deep breath, her hand hovering above the door handle, before going inside.

Mariah could hear soft cooing from one of the twins as she cautiously made her way over to the cribs. Nicole was curled up under her blanket, sleeping, while Noelle was wide awake chewing on her hands.

Oh, well look at you.

Mariah gripped the side of the crib and looked down at her daughter.

“Hi.” She whispered, stiffly.

Noelle looked up at her quizzically. Mariah reached down in the crib to pull the blanket up on the baby, who reached out and grabbed her finger.

Mariah shook her head. “No, no, no.”

She tried to pull her hand away, but Noelle had a strong grip.

Noelle looked up at her mother with sparkling eyes and giggled.

Mariah allowed a ghost of a smile to tug at her lips. “Can I have my finger back?”

Noelle tugged at her mother’s finger even harder and tried to bring it to her mouth, when Mariah snatched it away. “No you can't eat my finger.”

Noelle seemed disappointed for a moment, then she began chewing on her fists again. Mariah watched her, tears forming in her eyes.

“I'm sorry baby. I'm trying, I really am.”

She ran her hand over Noelle's head and walked out of the room.

February 14th, 1998

Huht!

Mariah gasped as she shot up from the couch. She looked around the living room before closing her eyes and clutching her chest.

Lately, she’d been so jet-lagged, she’d panic anytime her body would rest for an abnormal amount of time.

What time is it?

She slid off the couch and walked over to the grandfather clock next to the entertainment center across from the couch.

Seven thirty.

She yawned, walking into the kitchen. She stood up against the island, peering around the room before a brand new refrigerator calendar caught her eye.

When did this get here?

She walked up to the refrigerator and studied the calendar.

February 14th. Her eyes traveled down the little white box that belonged to the date. Valentine’s day.

She raised an eyebrow, taking a step back from the calendar. And then it hit her.

Oh shit, it’s Valentine’s Day!

She hurried over to the cabinet and pulled out two frying pans and a cookie sheet. She went into the refrigerator, took the bacon, eggs, butter, cheese, peppers, and onions, and sat them on the counter. Before she did anything else, she ran all over the downstairs area, opening the windows. When she opened the window by the stairs she noticed the mailman dropping off a small package.