Chapter 54

March 2nd, 1998

Pat woke up to the sound of loud thumping that seemed to be coming from the entryway.

What in the world?

She rubbed her eyes and went into the living room. The front door was wide open and several large boxes were sitting in the middle of the room. Katherine walked right past her.

What the hell?

Pat ran up the stairs to find Mariah. Her daughter was in bed knocked out.

“Mariah?” She whispered.

Mariah didn't move.

Pat raised her voice. “Mariah!”

Nothing.

Pat huffed and shook Mariah. “Mariah!”

Mariah brushed her off and tightened her blanket around her shoulders.

Pat shook her head and left the room. She heard quiet talking downstairs.

She hurried down and nearly ran into to a mover.

“Excuse me, what do you think you're doing?” Pat asked, aggressively.

“Look lady, I'm just doing my job.” One of the movers said. “I was hired to bring this stuff here.”

Pat was taken aback. “Hired by who?”

“Boss wants everything to go upstairs.” Another mover shouted.

Pat looked behind the man directly in front of her face. “Who’s your b-”
“Thanks everyone for all your help!” Michael shouted.

Soon, Michael came walking in with Katherine behind him.

“Michael, sweetheart! What is going on in here?” Pat asked.

Michael stopped in front of Pat. So did Katherine.

He smiled shyly. “My mother’s moving in with us.”

Pat’s face dropped. “What? Why?”

Michael raised an eyebrow at her.

“I- I mean, doesn’t she have a home in California?” Pat asked, trying to clean up her previous question.

“Listen Pat, I know it was just the three of us at Neverland, but now that the twins are here, we’re going to need the extra help.” Michael explained.

“Well then we’ll hire a maid.” Pat suggested.

Katherine rolled her eyes.

Michael chuckled. “Not that kind of help. We need someone to help facilitate things, you know? Keep everything in place.”

“You and Mariah both have assis-”

“I’m moving in.” Katherine interrupted. “My son wants me here.”

Pat didn’t even look Katherine in the eye.

Michael let out a nervous chuckle. “Okay ladies, I’m gonna go finish making sure everything is going good with the move. You two be nice.”

Michael walked up the stairs into Katherine’s new room.

Before long, Pat spoke again. “You better not get in my way.”

Katherine chuckled. “Oh sweetie, this is my house now. Don’t you know who he loves most?”

Pat narrowed her eyes and walked away from Katherine. This was going to be difficult.