Chapter 90

August 7th, 1999

Janet and Fallon walked into the living room where Michael sat in a white t-shirt, skinny black jeans, white socks, and his straightened hair slicked back into a ponytail. He was eating chips and drinking grape juice when he heard John over the intercom and instructed Fallon to let Janet in.

"Hey Dunkie." He said. "What you doing out here?"

She approached him, giving him a side-hug. "Nothing. Just wanted to check on you guys."

Michael smiled. "Well, we're good."

"How's the girls?"

"They're good. They're taking a nap right now." He replied.

"Aw, I wanna see them."

"I'll get them later. I just put them down not too long ago." He explained.

She nodded, playing with her keys. "So, where's Mariah?"

"She had to go to New York."

"You sent her out there alone?" Janet asked.

"Well one, she's not alone. And two, I didn't send her out there. She begged me to go so she could work on her album. She told me she feels trapped in the house."

Janet raised an eyebrow. "Damn. So when is she coming back?"

"She'll be back in like a week."

"Well that's good at least. She don't need to be gone too long." Janet said.

Michael munched some chips. "Yeah, especially with her being pregnant."

Janet stared out into space. "Mhm."

The two sat in silence for a little while. They were the closest of their siblings, so they never really needed to talk when they were alone. They could just silently enjoy each other's presence. But Michael could tell that the silence was somewhat unnatural. It was like Janet was hesitating to tell him something. So he just waited until she felt comfortable enough to let it out.

"So...I was thinking about moving from Malibu."

There it goes.

"Why?" Michael asked, popping a chip into his mouth.

"Well you know, I'm divorcing Rene."

"Yeah, I knew that. But that's your house." Michael replied.

She nodded along, slowly. "It is, isn't it."

"Don't tell me y'all didn't sign a pre-nup..."

"I didn't- Shit, you didn't get a pre-nup!" Janet shouted.

Michael shushed her. "Girl, I'm still in a happy marriage. Don't come in here tryna ruin that with your divorce talk."

Janet huffed. "Boy I'm bouta be homeless and you talking about some 'don't try ta ruin my shit', get your ass on!"

"Homeless?" He asked. "Janet, you're not poor."

"I'm not rich either!"

Michael furrowed his eyebrows. "Janet, literally what the fuck are you talking about? You made over a hundred million dollars in the past year, alone."

"That's gross. And before taxes!"

"Aw please! You don't pay taxes!" Michael asserted.

Janet gasped. "No. You. Didn't."

"Oh. I. Did." He replied.

"Do I look like M.C. Hammer to you, Michael?"

He chuckled. "Do you want me to answer that? Ms. 'I don't need an accountant'."