Chapter 70

September 21st, 1998

“Okay mama, let’s fix your stomach.” Michael said to Noelle. While Mariah stayed back with Nicole, he’d taken a trip to the grocery store, in full disguise, so that he could get Noelle something for her recurrent stomach issues. And though he only went for one thing, Michael couldn’t resist filling the cart with random items he probably didn’t need.

With a cart full of small boxes of cereal, two packs of gummy bears, two bags of M&M’s, and one Noelle, Michael pushed down the Health Care aisle.

“Alright baby. Let’s see what we got.” He studied the labels of two competing stomach relief brands. He giggled, holding up a small, blue, bottle. “This one says it’ll help solidify the stuff before you push it out.”

He smiled down at Noelle, waving the blue bottle and a green bottle. “Which one do you think will help?”

Noelle smiled back at her father, not really signalling a preference one way or another.

Michael kissed her cheek and tossed the blue bottle into the cart. Ready to push off, he glanced up ahead to make sure nothing was in his way when-

“Michael?” A woman called out.

He froze.

What the hell is she doing here?

“Michael, is that you?” She pressed.

The woman lowered her voice into a whisper. “You’re wearing a disguise aren’t you?”

He cast his head down, ignoring the woman.

“Michael, it’s me. June.”

Michael clenched his jaw--a flood of memories coloring his mind’s eye. He could hear Mariah’s voice in the back of his head scolding him.

Just walk away.

She maintained her whisper. “Michael, look, I know it’s been a long time, and I know things haven’t- Is this your baby?”

She walked around to the opposite side of the cart, studying Noelle. “Wow, she’s beautiful.”

Michael stiffly nodded. He didn’t know what was going on but it was like his body didn’t want to let him move.

“She looks like she could belong to us.” June said, giggling.

Us’?

Michael’s nerves went into overdrive as he began to sweat.

June looked down as if she’d just realized the implications of her words. “I- I mean, I know things ended on a bad note. But...I know you’re innocent.”

So then why’d you lie on me?

“Look, I’m willing to let bygones be bygones. Maybe we can hang out together sometime?” June said.

“You’re willing to let bygones be bygones?” Michael spoke up.

June lent a sympathetic eye. “Well, I mean, I’m not married to David anymore. And Evan’s out of my life. I haven’t seen Jordie in-”

“Stop.” Michael said, staring intently at his own daughter. He glanced at June out of the side of his eye, before snapping them both shut. He wiped beads sweat off of his face, opened his eyes again, and walked off.

“Can I at least call you? So we can talk this out?” June shouted from behind.

Michael pushed the cart faster, trying to escape the woman.