Chapter 8

September 26th, 1996

Mariah groaned as she forced herself up. After going out the night before, she had a hangover and would've preferred to sleep in for the day, but she had things on her agenda. First she had to call her mother and then she had to try on more wedding dresses. The initial dress fitting didn't go as planned.

"Alright, Mariah. Here's the dresses your sisters-in-law pulled." Her stylist said.

Mariah watched as the three dresses were laid before her. They were all gorgeous dresses, but she didn't immediately take a liking to any one in particular. She hoped her feelings would change once she started trying them on.

She pointed to the one on the far right, a tiered dress with gold details at the top. "Let's start there."

"You don't sound excited."

Mariah shrugged. "I don't think any of them have my style nailed all the way down yet, but I could be wrong."

She put on the dress and stepped outside where the three sisters were waiting. Janet immediately shook her head.

"That's not the one."

Latoya laughed. "Why? Because you didn't pick it?"

Mariah turned around in the mirror. "It's pretty. Who picked this one?"

"I did," Rebbie said. "You're not smiling too hard."

"Because it's pretty, but I don't think it's the dress." She sighed. "I'm going to go try on another one."

She could overhear Janet say, "I'm telling you she's going to pick mine." as she went back into the room. 

She took off Rebbie's pick and tried on the middle dress, which was form fitting with silver details until it flared out near the bottom. The tulle was bothering her, she didn't like the way it looked with the train, she'd have preferred if the bottom had been more uniform.

She stepped back outside and Latoya was looking quite proud of herself. "That dress looks amazing on you."

Janet nodded. "It does. Do you like it?"

"I don't like the train." Mariah admitted. "It throws off the dress for me, but I do like this one. I'm just not sure if it's the one. You know what I'm saying?

"So you're looking for Michael in dress form?" Rebbie inquired, making Latoya giggle. "I can get you a sequined black dress if you'd like."

Mariah giggled. "No, thanks Rebbie. I'm going to go try on the last dress."

The final dress had to be the plainest of them all and it made sense that Janet had picked it. It had the elegance of old Hollywood, something that Mariah liked, but it was still missing something.

She stepped out and Rebbie nodded. "You look like a bride in that."

"You look stunning." Janet said.

"Really classy." Latoya added.

Mariah sighed. "I don't know, it's missing something. Like I really do like this one, but it's falling flat. I don't know if I want more detailing in it or what."

Janet frowned. "Now that you mention it, it does look a little flat."

"I tried to tell you that when you picked it up." Rebbie said.

Janet shrugged. "So what are you looking for?"

Mariah thought for a moment. "I want something that's a little dramatic, like Rebbie's pick, I liked he details on Latoya's, and I like the elegance of this dress. I need a little something from all three. I think we're going to have to come back to this in a few days."