Chapter 100

March 14th, 2000

After traveling through Europe, Mariah and Elizabeth had made it to Los Angeles for her next show. The two hurried through LAX, making their way to Mariah’s car--security surrounding them. At the same time a small crowd formed, most of them trying to get a good look at Elizabeth. Though Mariah spent most of her energy trying to shield the baby from ruthless fans and reporters, there was one person that caught her eye.

The woman, dressed in torn jeans held up by a shoestring, appeared to be homeless. She followed Mariah closely, constantly calling her name. Oddly, the woman seemed familiar.

Mariah pulled Elizabeth closer to her, slightly picking up her pace. She assumed the woman was one of the more aggressive photographers, as she tried to hide behind the security.

“Mariah?”

Mariah tried to ignore the woman, hoping it would be enough to get rid of her, but the woman continued in her pursuit. Elizabeth attempted to pick her head up to look around, but Mariah pushed her head back down so the woman couldn't see her daughter's face.  

“Mariah Carey-Jackson?” The woman shouted, haggardly.

Mariah raised an eyebrow, trying to avoid the woman’s piercing gaze. She ultimately gave in, unable to turn down a homeless person.

“Hold on guys.” Mariah instructed.

The woman smiled before pulling a rolled paper out of her inner jacket pocket. She slapped the paper in Mariah’s hand.

“You’ve been served.”

“What?” Mariah shouted, noticing the word ‘Summons’ at the top of the page. She tried to force the summons back into the woman’s hand, but the lady took off running.

“Shit- Shit! Shit! Shit!” She shouted. She glanced up at Wayne. “Is this legal? Can you serve someone like that?”

Wayne looked as if he didn’t know what to say.

Mariah shook her head. “I don’t fucking need this right now! Wayne, take us to the car!”

Wayne nodded, escorting Mariah and her security team up to her Cadillac Escalade.

On their way up the parking garage, Mariah opened the notice.

Notice, You have been sued.

Respondent: Mariah Carey-Jackson

Plaintiff: Thomas D. Motolla

Tommy? What?

Complaint: Assault & Battery

What the entire fuck...

March 19th, 2000

Shawn turned the key in the lock of Michael and Mariah’s condo. They gave him permission to stay at the condo while he was on Spring Break, since they rarely spent time in New York. This time, though, Shawn wasn't alone.

“Come on grandma.” He said as he pushed the front door open.

Pat followed him inside and removed her tattered coat. “Shawn you shouldn't have brought me here.”

Shawn took her coat and hung it on the rack. “Look, you don't need to be out on the streets like that.”

He went into the kitchen and brought out a loaf of bread and some lunch meat. “Here's something. I have to go to the store. You know where everything is.”

Pat nodded and Shawn made his way out of the door, leaving Pat alone in the condo.

Pat managed to take a shower and make herself a sandwich in the time that Shawn was gone. She was sitting on the couch watching the news as her grandson brought two bags of groceries in.