Chapter 109

November 4th, 2000

Laaaa luh laa luh laaaa

All ya got ta do is

Walk away and pass me by

Don’t acknowledge my smile

When I try ta say hello

To you, yeah.

And all ya got ta do is

Not answer my calls when I’m tryna get through

Keep me wonderin’ why

When all I can do is cry.

I just wanna touch you.”

“Ugh, stop, stop it. Stop the track right there. I messed that one up.” Michael said, looking at his Producer, Andre Harris. He was in the studio recording a song for his upcoming album. With his life being kind of hectic lately--the Arvizos running wild after eventually letting the older siblings stay over every weekend, therapy bringing out repressed memories, and the twins imagining ghosts of his past, it was nice to get a break and just, work. Unfortunately for Michael, not even that came without its downfalls.

After hours of begging and begging, Michael allowed Star to shadow him at the studio. He knew it was a bad idea in the moment, but somehow let Janet weasel her way into his mind.

“I think you did good, Mikey!” Star shouted through the loudspeaker, interrupting Michael and Andre’s workflow.

Michael ignored the teen, preferring to focus on his Producer’s notes.

“I feel like I like it better that way.” Andre said, simultaneously side-eyeing Star.

Michael gave a light chuckle. “Naw, I think the song is beautiful. I don’t wanna ruin it with my sad bullsh-” He glanced at Star. “-With sadness.”

Star jumped in front of Andre again, and forced the talk button down.

The engineer, Paul, raised an eyebrow at the teen.

“Hey Mike, is this song about a girl? You can tell me, I won’t tell your wife!”

Michael couldn’t help but chuckle. “I didn’t even write this one.”

Star furrowed his eyebrows, Andre raising his hand alongside him. “That’s all me, little man. And this beautiful British girl named Marsha.”

Michael smiled. “But you gotta back up, Star. You can’t be so aggressive with the equipment.”

Star took a seat in a chair away from the soundboard, while Michael and Andre went back to work. But it didn’t stay that way. Pretty soon, Star was up again, roaming around the studio, seemingly looking for something to break.

Michael stopped the track again, becoming distracted by Star’s constant movement.

“Star.” Michael called out.

Star shot his head around to Michael.

“Sit down.”

“I’m hungry.” Star responded.

Michael held his breath. He wanted to just tell the boy to leave and go get something to eat. But he knew good and well there was no way he could entrust him with that much responsibility--or any at all for that matter.

He forced the air out of his nose. “Sit down and we’ll get something to eat when we leave.”

“Can we get Taco Bell?”