Chapter 116

June 8th, 2001

Mariah rubbed her eyes as she rolled over and reached for her phone. It had been ringing off the hook all morning, but she wanted to avoid the outside world for the day. Her pregnancy was starting to take a toll on her body, and she wanted to spend the day resting with her family, but it didn't seem like that was going to happen anytime soon.

She sat up, absently rubbing Michael's empty side of the bed. “Hello?”

“Mariah, it's Louise.”

Mariah bit her tongue, not wanting to argue with her manager. “Louise, you know it's my day off.”

“It's important.”

“Are you on fire?” Mariah inquired.

Louise sighed. “That J. Lo girl is at it again.”

Mariah chewed the inside of her cheek. J. Lo was Tommy's new main artist, and she knew for a fact he was using the woman to get back at her for leaving the label. The pair had already teamed up and stole the sample she planned to use for her own single, “Loverboy”.

“Go on…”

“So she's been out shooting her video for the song and took the concept from what you were gonna do with Loverboy.” Louise explained.

Mariah balled her fist, preparing a lengthy response to Louise's revelation. She decided on a deep breath, instead, with Michael's doting, yet stern voice in the back of her head saying: ‘think about the baby’.

“We gotta do something about this, she can't just keep taking my shit. Tommy is the one behind this shit too, I bet. Can't you put out stories on her?” Mariah asked.

“Stories? You want me to get her bad press?”

Mariah nodded eagerly. “Yeah, I want people to know that she's a thief. I'm not even the only artist she stole from, that's the thing about it.”

“Are you sure? This can come back to bite you, you know.” Louise warned.

Mariah shrugged. “I don't care. Just do it.”

Louise sighed.

“Alright, it's handled.”

June 12th, 2001

It was nearing the final week of rehearsals for Michael’s concerts, which he'd affectionately titled the “30th Anniversary Celebration”, and he’d finally gotten all his brothers together for a few rehearsals. The group looked great individually--Jackie with his fresh box cut that should've been shaved off ten years ago, Tito and his brand new line of guitars that Michael just knew was going to fail, Jermaine with his side piece while Alejandra stayed home with his children, Marlon trying his damndest to dance like it was 1979, and Randy trying to run the setup like the boss Michael actually was and he only wished to be.

The group rehearsed the opening routine for the J5 medley while Michael and his backup dancers for the rest of the concert sat back and watched. Also with Michael was little Nicole, Michael opting to take her to his rehearsals while Noelle and Elizabeth stayed at the condo with their mother.

Nicole, held securely in Michael’s arms, pointed at Jermaine and started cackling. Poor baby couldn't help it--her uncle looked a hot mess trying to imitate Michael and Marlon’s new choreography. Michael giggled along with her.

“Yes baby, say dus-ty.” Michael instructed.

Jermaine threw the sweaty towel he'd been using to pat his boobs dry at Michael. “Shut it!”

Michael and Nicole both ducked, maintaining their joyous laughter.

“Y'all need to get it together!” Randy exclaimed. “Y'all look raggedy!”