Chapter 64

July 6th, 1998

“Why are y’all staring at me?” Michael asked.

“Where’s Pat?” Alfred asked.

“She’s outside waiting for her taxi.”

Katherine released a breath she didn’t even realize she was holding.

In fact, they all did.

“What?” Michael asked.

“Why did you burn her purse?” Mariah asked.

“Just in case she’s in cahoots with Tommy and was secretly recording us or tracking us or something.”

Mariah raised an eyebrow in realization. “Shit, that’s a good idea.”

“Why would she be in cahoots with Tommy?” Alfred asked.

“Think about it.” Michael started. “She shows up out of nowhere in Florida but claims she has no money. Broke people can’t get flights to Miami. Then she decides that now is the perfect time for her to come home-”

Alfred interrupted. “Well I convinced her to come back so I could expose her-”

“But why would she say yes? Because she’s working with Tommy. Anyway, she comes back here and asks me for a very specific sum of money for...what reason? Oh, that’s right, no reason. And then add in the fact that she kept referring to some ‘business partner’ but never gave this person a name. I’m telling you, she was trying to set us up.” Michael explained.

Katherine spoke up. “But Mi-”

“No, no, he’s making a lot of sense. My mom is always up to something. He was smart to burn that purse. She probably had a tape recorder or something in there.” Mariah concurred.

Alfred looked back and forth between Michael and Mariah as they formed the narrative together. “I think y’all are a little bit paranoid.” Alfred spoke up.

“Oh but we’re not, dad.” Mariah said, the fear apparent on her face.

Michael shook his head and stood up. “What if she goes back to him and tells him something? What did you guys say to her?”

“I didn’t say anything.” Mariah reassured.

Michael glanced over to Alfred, who shook his head. His eyes travelled over to his mother who started on dinner.

“Mother?”

“You know I didn’t say nothing to her.” Katherine said. “I don’t even know why you asking me.”

“Okay, yes ma’am.” Michael said, giggling. “I’m just worried that she’ll say something to him.” Michael glanced at Mariah. “Mariah you’re not going back to New York.”

Mariah nodded hastily. “Okay baby.”

Michael pulled back in confusion. “What did you just say?”

“I said ‘okay’. I won’t go.” Mariah replied.

“Uh...are you sure that’s what you mean?”

“Baby, I’m sure. We’re in this together.” Mariah explained.

Michael’s jaw dropped. He waited a moment before walking over to his wife and ghosted a kiss on her lips.

“Good.”

July 7th, 1998

Mariah followed Michael out of the house, dragging a large garbage bag of Pat's clothes behind her. They called a salvation army truck to come pick up her mother's things earlier that morning so that they could erase her from their lives.