Chapter 58

April 17th, 1998

Michael was sitting on the living room couch watching TV. He put the twins to sleep an hour before and was getting some alone time. After a rerun of The Three Stooges went off, he flipped it to the news channel. The news casters were signing off and the intro to 20/20 came on. It was Mariah’s episode and she sat across from Diane Sawyer in a brown dress and tan boots. The interview started with a few questions about the twins that Mariah manoeuvred through easily. Once the conversation turned to him, Diane grilled Mariah, whose demeanor noticeably changed.

Diane narrowed her eyes at Mariah. So was that marriage indeed a cover up for child mole-”

No,” Mariah vigorously shook her head. “Michael is a great person.

Diane was unconvinced. But great people-”

Michael angrily turned off the TV. He should've expected for the interview to go like that, but he had some vain hope that people would just leave him alone.

He heard the back door open, along with Wayne grumbling about some luggage. Mariah and Wayne said their goodbyes and the door closed.  

“Hey baby.” Mariah said as she walked into the room. She glanced at his balled fists. “What's going on?”

Michael hastily shook his head. “Nothing.”

“Are you sure? You seem on edge.”

“I'm just irritated you know. Just people and their stupid bullshit.” He explained.

Mariah raised an eyebrow. “What happened?”

His lips formed a hard line. “I just don't get why people think it's okay to say certain things. I j- You know what, it's nothing.”

“Aww baby-” She started. She sat down next to him on the couch and began stroking his back. “People will always have shit to say. You just have to work past it.” Mariah said.

Michael took a deep sigh, placing his hands over his forehead. He slid his hands down his face. “I just don't get it.”

Mariah pulled him closer to her.

He leaned his head into her neck.

They sat there for a moment, Mariah rubbing his shoulders.

He pulled back from her, looking her in the eyes. “Do you want to be with me?”

She peered at him, her expression quizzical.

“Michael, I'm your wife.”

Why did I just say that to her?

He quickly shook off his question. “Dumb question, I know.”

He looked down at his hands--picking with them.

She grabbed his hands and opened them so that his palms were facing up. She spread them apart and gently pushed him back onto the couch.

Climbing on top of him, she stroked his hair behind his ear. “You sure you okay?”

He nodded slowly.

Taking his movement as permission, she tilted her head to the left and made a beeline for his exposed neck. She licked and sucked at his neck vigorously--like she was reminding him of her love.

He batted his eyes shut while his hands explored her body. It had been so long since he actually felt his wife, he was beginning to lose himself in the moment.

She pulled away from him. “I missed you.”

He smiled. “Me too.”

She placed her hand on his jaw and guided him up to her lips. She placed a soft kiss on him.