Chapter 28

April 30th, 1997

Michael snatched his arm back from Mariah. "Mimi, calm down."

She paused, staring at him as if she didn't know how to proceed.

"Mariah, I know you're mad, but I couldn't let her be out on the street, and after seeing how ruthless Tommy can be... I felt like I needed to help her."

"After seeing how-" She blew out a sharp breath. "Really Michael? She's just using you, like she does everybody."

"Mariah, calm down. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to see how far she's come." Michael explained. "She's really not all that bad."

Mariah stared at Michael, partially happy that he was really talking and partially infuriated that he was really talking. "Michael, you don't get it. You don't know her like I do."

"And that may be true but she's a good person. We've been talking a lot lately."

Oh you have?

"Talking? About what?"

Michael took a few steps forward. "Mimi, she's just been very loving to me."

She's been loving? I know you're hurting baby but demons can't love.

"Michael, listen-"

"No Mimi. I don't want to ruin anything with her. Can we all just work it out?" Michael asked.

Mariah folded her arms. "Baby, you're not in the right mindset to be dealing with this."

Michael lowered his head in embarrassment.

"I-I mean-"

"I get it." Michael interrupted, his eyes growing despondent.

She closed her eyes, rubbing her temples. Mariah didn't mean to upset him, but she knew it wouldn't be healthy for him to get involved. She also knew it would take her awhile to actually be able to speak civilly with her mother, but she'd do it if it meant seeing her husband happy again. She sighed. "Okay baby. If it makes you feel better I'll talk to her. But I need some time to process all of this before I do."

Michael gave a half-smile and leaned in for a hug. "Thank you."

May 4th, 1997

Mariah finally calmed down enough to talk to her mother. She walked over to the guest bungalows and knocked on the door, bracing herself for what was to come.

"Mariah?" Pat said, shocked.

Mariah gave a half-smile. "Can I come in?"

Pat nodded, walking her into the living room. "Of course. It's your house."

"Sorry about that." Mariah said quietly, taking a seat. "I was pretty shocked to see you here."

"I know." Pat nodded. "I should probably apologize. I shouldn't have let Tommy get in my head, Mike is a great man. I should've left your relationship alone, but I want you to know I was only doing it to protect you."

"Mom, he was beating me." Mariah said flatly. "You told me to stay with a man who was beating me and made me abort my child. How can I forgive that?"

"You don't have to forget it, but you have to forgive. Forgive for yourself, dear." Pat said. "I know it hurt you, but I was in too deep. He was threatening me, and your career. All you've ever wanted was to be a singer and I wanted you to be the best you could. If I had've known, I wouldn't have done it."

Mariah sighed. "Mom it wasn't the first time-"

"Mariah, I have many regrets, but do know I was only trying to protect you the best way I knew how."