Chapter 105

July 1st, 2000

“So where’s your charming brother?” Nina asked, sipping her Iced Tea. Michael and Mariah wanted to have a playdate for Twizzie and decided to invite Nina, Dawn, Noah, and Ava, since they just lived twenty minutes away. While the twins ran around in the yard with Noah, little Elizabeth sat up in her outside high chair wearing a gorgeous white midi dress and one of her signature sun hats. Baby Ava looked equally as fabulous with her yellow halter-neck shirt, white leggings, and large white hair bow. The two little girls stunted on their drab parents--Michael in his dad jeans and white long-sleeved shirt; Mariah in an old purple velvet sweatsuit that exposed her belly button; Nina in gray sweatpants and a white t-shirt; and Dawn in mom jeans and a red t-shirt.

Mariah smiled. “He’s looking for a job.”

“I wonder...where does a man like that find a job?” Michael questioned.

Mariah raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“I mean- A man in his condition.”

Dawn chuckled. “What does that mean?”

Mariah suppressed an eyeroll. “It don’t mean nothing. Michael’s just being ridiculous.”

“Mommy!” Noelle cried out. She came hurling toward her father.

“Woah! Slow down there.” Michael instructed. “I’m Daddy, not Mommy.”

“Oh!” Noelle replied.

Michael giggled at the two-year-old. Her glasses had been yanked down, so he had to adjust them for her.

“Can you see now?” Michael asked.

She smiled, showing her tiny teeth, and went running back toward Noah and her sister.

“That must be tough.” Dawn commented. “How did y’all even find out she had vision problems?”

“Well, she could never really see that well.” Michael replied. “It’s one of those things where you don’t even realize it until you know, too.”

Dawn started waving her hand in front of Ava’s face, as if to see if her eyes would follow.

Nina popped her partner’s hand. “Dawn!” Nina rolled her eyes--eliciting a chuckle from both Michael and Mariah.

“You two are so cute.” Mariah noted. “And Ava’s honestly an angel.”

Dawn nodded in gratitude. She glanced over at Elizabeth, who was slowly falling asleep. “So is this one.”

Mariah plastered a grin on her face.

Elizabeth stretched her little arms, yawning all the same.

Michael stroked her cheek. “You falling asleep, Donut?”

Elizabeth kicked her leg up.

Mariah chuckled. “Look at that lil foot. That’s how you know she sleepy. Mommy baby is tired!”

Michael smiled. “Maybe we should take them for a walk.” He suggested, gesturing between the two infants. “I don’t want Lizzie going to sleep right now and then turn around and be up all night.”

As Mariah set up her stroller, Michael scooped Elizabeth out of her high chair. Her disgruntled expression was enough for him to know he’d ruined her vibe.

Michael gave her cheek a nibble before walking her over to her stroller. Dawn did the same for Ava.

“Noah!” Dawn called out.