Chapter 107

September 1st, 2000

Ring.

Ring.

Mariah huffed. She sat on the bed writing, annoyed at having to get up to get the house phone off the entertainment center.

She picked up the phone and immediately recognized the New York number before contemplating ignoring the call. She began to chew her nails, and answered anyway.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Mariah.”

She rolled her eyes. “What do you want, Morgan?”

Mariah could just make out an argument in the background.

“Mom and Ms. Katie keep fighting and me and Dad don't know what to do.” Morgan explained.

“And what does that have to do with me?” She asked, looking at at her nails. “You all seemed fine at the wedding.”

“Yeah, but Dad needs help, Mariah. He can't keep trying to break them up.” Morgan said.

Mariah pursed her lips. “What are they fighting about?”

“Mom moved Ms. Katie's brush.”

“Wow.” Mariah noted. She figured the peace between Katherine and Pat wouldn't last, especially with her father in the mix.

Michael shuffled into the bedroom, looking exhausted. He was certainly thinner, considering he hadn't been eating right the past few weeks. He flopped on the bed, pulling the covers around his body.

“Hold on.” Morgan said and proceeded to yell. “Can y'all stop it? It's not that serious.”

“Hello?”

“Yeah...I'm here.” Mariah said, annoyed.

Michael turned around, bunching the cover to his side. “Who's that?”

“Morgan.” Mariah informed him. “He said our moms keep fighting.”

Michael deadpanned. “And did they think that wasn’t gonna happen…?”

Mariah shrugged.

Michael frowned. “Here, give me the phone.”

“Hold on.” Mariah said before handing her husband the phone.

“Hello…? Morgan, yes… What’s going on?” He started.

Mariah figured Morgan was explaining the situation by the way Michael’s eyes rolled.

Michael took a slow breath. “Okay well Mariah can’t deal with this. She’s about to get her back blown out sooo...bye-”

Smack.

“What the hell!” Michael exclaimed, rubbing his arm. “What was that for?”

Mariah snatched the phone out of Michael’s hand, scowling at her husband.

“Hello?” She spoke, her voice clearly annoyed.

“Yeah…” Morgan said. “You should really tell your husband that no one wants to hear that.”

Mariah stared Michael down. “Oh he knows. He was just tryna be funny.”

Michael gritted his teeth.

“God, now they’re yelling about who’s gonna clean up around here… I’m so fucking tired of it.”

Mariah went back to biting her nails. “Well I don’t know what to do.”