Chapter 79

December 27th, 1998

All eyes snapped to Nicole. The tiny toddler glared at the adults--icing still all over her face, hair, and little blue velvet dress.

“No!” Nicole shouted again.

Mariah knelt down beside her daughter and picked her up. “Nick, you're talking.”

The stress on Michael's face was quickly replaced with glee. “Say it again, baby. Say ‘no’.”

Nicole laughed at him.

Mariah grinned at Nicole. “Come on baby let's go get you and your sister cleaned up. Toya, can you help me?”

Michael started. “I can-”

Mariah shot a glare at him, though her voice was warm. “You've got company baby. Don't be rude.”

Michael gulped as he watched his wife walk out of the room with Latoya and their twins.

Back on the other side of the room, Marlon and Janet were separating Mariah's father from Joseph.

Michael slowly turned to June and took a deep breath. “Why don't we step outside?”

June nodded and followed him out to the front. He leaned against the brick wall and stroked the bridge of his nose--eyes distant. A silence fell over the two of them, Michael occasionally sending a glance in her direction, but never speaking.

Why won't he talk?

“What are you thinking?” June asked.

Michael looked up and slowly released a breath. “I...I just always wondered what I'd say to you if I ever saw you again.”

She nodded for him to continue.

“And now that you're here... why?”

June raised an eyebrow. “Why what?”

He stood up straight. “June, you know what I'm talking about. Don't play dumb with me.”

She dropped her eyes to the ground, searching for an answer.

She still remembered that hot August day Evan stormed into the house with Jordan at his side.

Evan glared at June. “I'm so disgusted with you! How could you let him destroy this family?”

“You didn't even start seeing your son until Michael came in the picture. Since when has family mattered to you?” June shot back.

Evan slammed his fist on the kitchen table and June backed up against the sink.

Jordie tell your mother what you told me.”

Jordan sighed, clearly annoyed with his father. “Michael touched me.”

June shook her head. “No, Michael would never-”

“He did June!” Evan shouted. “And if you take my kid around that monster again I'll make sure you never see him again.”

June sighed. “Michael, he was gonna take Jordie away from me. I never believed any of that stuff.”

Michael furrowed his brows. “Why didn't you say something? I could've made sure that Jordan stayed with you. I would've helped you, all you had to do was say something.”

“I didn't know what to do! I was scared.” June exclaimed.

He went silent for a moment, just looking down at his shoes.