Chapter 80

January 15th, 1999

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

Mariah walked out of the bathroom and picked up her phone. “Hello?”

“H-hey Mariah.” The voice sniffled.

Mariah raised an eyebrow. “Alison? Are you crying?”

“No!”

Mariah shook her head, picked up a snickers off the nightstand, and sat on the bed. “What's going on?”

There was a pause on the other end.

“Hello?” Mariah mumbled, mouth full.

Alison sighed. “I need some money, Mariah.”

Mariah pulled the phone from her ear to stare at it before putting her phone back up to her ear. “What?”

“I need some money.”

Mariah narrowed her eyes. “What do you need it for?”

“You know...bills and stuff.”

Mariah scoffed. “Really Alison? I give you-”

“Mariah, please.”

Mariah took another bite of her candy. “Why do you need it?”

“I told you-”

“I pay your bills. Try again.”

Alison groaned. “Why do you have to be such a bitch?”

“Why can't yo ass stay clean?” Mariah shot back. “I knew you was back on that shit.”

“I'm not!”

Mariah took a deep breath. “Alison.”

“I'm not!”

“If you don't stop lying...Why else would you suddenly start needing money? You been staying in the same place since the twins were born. You ain't needed extra money before now.” Mariah said.

“Well I do now. Remember that guy I was telling you about?”

Mariah rolled her eyes. “Yeah. Why?”

“He wants to get married.”

“Well why didn't you start with that?” Mariah asked, monotonously. “You still sound like you're lying.”

Mariah took the last bite of her snickers and frowned at the empty wrapper before throwing in the trash.

I need some more of those.

“-really need your help.”

Mariah paused. “Huh? Can you repeat that?”

“I was saying that I was nervous but I'd really need your help with the wedding.”

Mariah shrugged.

Boy if you don’t get-

January 22nd, 1999

“Happy birthday little man!” Mariah exclaimed. Mariah, Michael, and the twins were back in Aspen for the first time since moving back to Neverland. They were invited to Nina and Dawn’s son, Noah’s, birthday party. He’d just turned one years old.

“Say thank you, Noah.” Nina instructed. Noah smiled, shyly, but didn’t say anything.

Nina chuckled. “Aww, come on, man. She’s here to see you.”