Chapter 98

January 25th, 2000

Janet sighed, looking down at her food. Mariah was sitting across from her, wearing an equally solemn expression. The two women were discussing Michael's recovery and though he was making progress, he still had a long way to go. With their discussion, Janet was hoping that he wouldn't have any setbacks.

“I have to go on tour.” Mariah whispered.

Why are you whispering? He can't hear us.

Janet twisted her lips to the side. “What about Lizzie? She still on the boobie.”

Mariah’s frown deepened. “I'm gonna have to take her with me.”

“That's gonna hurt him.” Janet muttered. “Do you have to go?”

Mariah huffed. “Unfortunately. I don't wanna leave him though, he needs me.”

Janet pushed her food back and forth on the plate. “So what are you gonna tell him?”

“I was hoping you'd help me.”

Girl, he's your husband.

Janet stabbed her salad and shoved it in her mouth. “When are you gonna do it?”

“I just asked you to help me...” Mariah said, growing irritated with Janet.

Janet shrugged. “I don't know how he's gonna react... Just come right out and say it.”

Mariah nodded slowly. Janet could tell she was seriously contemplating the idea.

“You’re right. I guess I'll do it tonight so he has time to get used to the idea, you know?” Mariah said, taking a small sip of her soft drink.

Janet opened her mouth to give a response, but loud cries from the other room interrupted their conversation.

Mariah glanced in the direction of the girls’ room then back down at her food. “I'll be right back.”

Janet watched Mariah disappear into one of the bedrooms and then reappear with Elizabeth on her hip.

“Aww look at TT baby.” Janet said when she saw her red eyed niece. “What's wrong with my baby?”

Mariah looked down at Elizabeth. “You gonna answer her?”

Janet laughed. “She be so mean when she first wake up.”

“I know! She's probably hungry though.”

Mariah helped the little one latch on, then continued eating her salad.

Janet wrinkled her nose. “So you just gonna whip out your titty at the table?”

Mariah rolled her eyes. “Like this is the first time you've seen my titty. But anyway, back to Mike.”

“Right. Um, I think telling him sooner is a good idea. Just watch him, if he looks like he's gonna have another breakdown, stop talking.” Janet warned. “We don't need him going backwards.”

Mariah nodded. “Yeah I'll be careful with-- ow! Lizzie!” She shifted Elizabeth to the other side. “I'll be careful with him.”

January 25th, 2000

Mariah was laying in bed with Michael watching a movie. His head rested on her chest--their fingers intertwined, while she used her other hand to play in his hair. It was a rare moment of serenity for the pair and she was reluctant to disrupt the peace.

“Sweetheart?” She murmured.

Michael looked up at her curiously.

Mariah took a deep breath. “You know I love you right?”