Chapter 76

December 1st, 1998

It was 10am and a chilly forty one degrees. The twins wore matching bubble coats and scarves with jeans and light-up tennis shoes. Michael, dressed in a varsity jacket, slacks, and loafers, held Noelle in his arms while Nicole walked alongside him holding his hand.

“Noni, look at her, baby!” Michael said to Noelle. The cows from Nina’s uncle’s farm just arrived to Neverland and Michael took the girls out to see them as well as speak to the rancher about the farm’s operations.

Noelle reached out and touched the cow’s snout. She grinned at the sensation and quickly pulled away. She looked at her dad for permission to do it again.

Michael kissed her cheek. “Go ahead baby.”

Noelle reached out and petted the cow again. Michael turned his attention to the rancher.

“So can they produce milk, like right now?”

The rancher, Buck, nodded at him. “They’re ready to pump.”

Michael continued his conversation with Buck while the twins had some fun of their own. Noelle kept pushing away from her dad trying to get down on the ground with her sister. Michael let her down and she hobbled toward her sister.

Noelle tried to talk to her sister, mumbling random things at her. Nicole put her hands on her sister’s shoulders and pulled Noelle closer to her. Noelle looked at her sister, bewildered. Nicole looked to be telling her sister something. Noelle reached out toward the cow and petted it, staring at her sister consolingly. Nicole scrunched her face in fear. Noelle pulled Nicole by the hand and forced it on the cow’s side. Nicole whined and snatched her hand away.

Noelle tried again.

Nicole pulled back and tried to run away.

“Nicki, what you doin baby?” Michael asked. Nicole whined, grimacing at the cow.

Michael turned his head to Noelle who looked on at him unwittingly--her glasses fogging up from the wind.

“Do I need to take you back in the house, Nicki?” Michael said, squatting down to Nicole’s level.

Nicole reached her arms out for her father, tying her hands around his neck. He picked up the older twin and excused himself from the rancher.

“Sorry, I gotta take care of this. I think she’s afraid of them.” Michael explained, gesturing toward the cows.

Noelle continued to mess with the cow.

“Okay come on Noni, let’s go back in the house.” Michael grasped Noelle’s hand and walked the girls to the main house, passing Katherine on the way.

“Hey Mother.”

Katherine waved, as she walked out of the guest house, Alfred close behind.

Michael rolled his eyes. “I thought you left after Thanksgiving.”

“I did, but I needed to come back to get some things.”
“Really? Have you heard about the new service that delivers things across the country to you? I think it’s called USPS? You should try it some time.” Michael bit.

Alfred sighed, turning to Katherine. He gave her a kiss on the cheek. Michael covered Noelle’s eyes and hurried off toward the main house.

“That is so creepy.”

December 1st, 1998

“So why are you in New York?” Rachel asked.

Mariah looked around before answering. “I'm going to meet with Tommy.”