Chapter 117

July 11th, 2001

Mariah walked out of the Dr. Powell's temporary New York office. She was leaving her fourteen week appointment and was grateful that everything with the baby was okay, despite her hectic schedule. Ever since J. Lo stole the concept for her “Loverboy” single, it seemed like everyone around her was pulling her in different directions, added with the stress of trying to raise her family, she was starting to feel utterly drained.

Wayne pulled the car around and helped her into the backseat where her three daughters were there to greet her.

“Mommy!” Elizabeth exclaimed.

Mariah forced a smile. “Hey babies.”

It wasn't that she wasn't happy to see the girls, she just didn't have the energy to engage with them the way she wanted to.

She buckled herself in her seat. “Did you have fun with Auntie Rachel?”

“Yes!” Nicole shouted. “We went to the park.”

“Use your inside voice, Nicki. So you guys went to the park?”

“Uh huh.” Noelle nodded. “We went on the slide.”

“That's nice baby.” Mariah said, closing her eyes. She allowed her kids to ramble on about their day, pretending to actually listen.

Maybe I can get in this little nap before--

Ring.

Ring.

Mariah cracked open her dry eyes and looked down at her phone. Michael was calling her, most likely to see how her appointment went. She contemplated calling him back later, but decided to answer the phone.

“Hey sweetheart.”

“Hey baby. Sorry I couldn't come with you today, I'm really trying to get everything together for the deadline.”

She shrugged. “It's okay.”

“So how'd the appointment go?” He asked.

“Fine.”

“That's it? She didn't say anything about the baby's size or anything?”

“Everything's fine.” She replied, sternly.

“Woah, are you okay?”

She rolled her eyes. “I'm great. You know promoting a movie, an album, moving to a new label, on top of trying to raise three kids and being pregnant with another baby.”

“Well I did warn you about this.” He pointed out. “You've got a lot on your plate, and I think-”

“Who said I give a fuck about what you think?” Mariah snapped.

The girls, who'd been playing with each other in their car seats, all paused to look at their mother.

“Whoa, baby, calm down I was-”

“Just shutting the hell up? Ooh, sometimes you just piss me off, Michael!” Mariah exclaimed.

“Awwwhhh, Mommy sayin’ bad words!” Noelle shouted.

Mariah ignored it.

“Mariah, you need to calm down. You’re so easily wound up all the time, especially around our kids you need to watch what you say-”

Michael began rambling on his soapbox about how Mariah needed to be more careful around their kids. Meanwhile, Twizzie somehow started up a shouting match between the three of them--each competing to see who could piss Mariah off more.