Chapter 68

August 30th, 1998

The room was silent as Mariah took a forkful of eggs. Katherine, in a silk night dress and robe, had gotten up early to make breakfast for the house. Mariah figured it was her way for apologizing for what happened last night. Michael, opposite Mariah, avoided his mother’s gaze at all costs. Instead, he focused on feeding the twins.

As she took a bite out of her bacon, Mariah heard her father’s footsteps trudge down the stairs.

“Good morning baby.” Alfred said to Mariah, hugging her and kissing her cheek.

Frozen still, she didn’t hug back.

Alfred looked up at Katherine. “Good morning, sweet pea.”

He kissed her cheek.

Michael rubbed his temples, desperately trying to control his emotions.

“Not in front of the kids, sweetheart.” Katherine replied through a soft giggle.

Michael shook his head.

“Oh they’re alright. We’re all grown here.” Alfred responded. He looked down at Nicole, who reached for her bottle. “Except you, pretty girl.” He pinched her cheek.

Michael cut a glare at the older man.

Alfred glanced at Noelle in Michael’s arms. “And you too.”

Mariah stared at Michael and chewed her food aggressively. She could see the discomfort on Michael’s face.

Michael put Noelle in her high chair and went for Nicole.

Alfred interrupted. “Let me do it, son.”

Oh shit.

Michael raised a provoking eyebrow.

“My daddy’s name is Joseph Aloysius Jackson-” Michael started in what seemed to be a half-joking half-serious tone.

Mariah looked up in confusion. “Wait, isn’t Joseph’s middle name ‘Walter’?”

Michael ignored her.

Your son is a fugitive.” Michael said before turning his attention to his daughter.

Katherine turned from the dishes and sent Michael a glare. “Watch your mouth, Michael.”

“Nah baby, it’s okay. He’s right, I’m not his daddy-”

“And my mother is not your ‘baby’.” Michael bit.

“Michael…” Mariah warned.

Alfred narrowed his eyes at the other man.

Katherine sighed, walking over to her son. She placed a hand on his shoulder. He promptly shrugged her off.

Katherine rolled her eyes. “Michael, you need to stop it.”

Michael didn’t pay her any mind. Instead, he zeroed in on Nicole.

Noelle started shouting in the background. Mariah jumped up to grab her, Alfred did the same.

“Aww, it’s okay Noni, paw-paw’s here.” Alfred said, stroking Noelle’s hair as Mariah fiddled with her bottle.

Michael’s head shot around. “Don’t touch my daughter.”

“Michael! He is their grandfather!” Katherine shouted.

“Joseph is their grandfather.” Michael retorted.

But- That’s- Genetics don’t- Okay Michael, Mariah thought.

Katherine threw her hands up in the air. “What is your problem?”