Chapter 39

September 20th, 1997

Michael was on cloud nine. He was still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that in four months he'd finally be a father. He rolled over to get a good look at Mariah. She was simultaneously watching TV and making a list of things to get for the babies.

She looks so beautiful.

He rolled closer to her, resting his head on the pillow. “What do we need?”

“We're going to need two of everything.” Mariah said, reviewing her list.

“Right.” He nodded. “But what do we need?”

“Everything.” She laughed. “I haven't prepared anything.”

Michael shook his head. “You need to do better. So then we need baby furniture, safety gates, clothes, strollers, car seats-” He stopped abruptly. “We need to talk to Denise.”

Mariah nodded her head. “Yeah, I talked to her a while ago about budgeting for all of this.”

A while ago?

He pulled his head back in shock. “Wait, how long have you known?”

Her body visibly tensed. “Uhh, I don’t know? Like maybe a month?”

You’re lying.

“Oh…Okay.” He nodded his head slowly and skeptically. “And you didn’t notice all that time?”

“Well I was so stressed out.”

Not again.

“Babe, why didn’t you tell me?” He responded, sympathetically.

“I did! But then you thought I was mad at you.”

But that was months ago. Michael had a razor-sharp memory.

He sighed, placing his hand over his forehead. “Are you sure you’ve only known for a month?”

She nodded her head hastily, as if to signal changing the subject.

Michael heeded her attempt.

She shifted her attention back to her list. “Anyway, we’re forgetting formula.”

“Formula?”

“Yeah. So the babies can, you know, eat.” Mariah replied facetiously.

“Nope. Absolutely not. My babies are consuming the finest of breast milks mother nature has to offer.” He explained in a faux French accent.

Mariah giggled. “Babe, I don’t want my titties to be hurting and stuff. You know what that does to your boobs?”

“I don’t care. You’re not shoveling chemicals down my babies’ throats.”

She playfully rolled her eyes. “Michael, how would I even be able to with work?”

Fuck work.

“Mariah. I’m telling you now, my babies are going to be breastfed.” He demanded.

Mariah scowled at him.

Michael sent a dirty look back. “Fine. Then let’s ask the babies what they want. All in favor of formula milk say ‘I’.”

“Michael, they can’t-”

“Shh!” He held a finger up to Mariah’s lips.

Silence.

“Looks like no votes for that. And all in favor of mommy’s milk filled with the nutrients: tender, love, and care, do anything to signal your approval.”