Chapter 43

November 15th, 1997

Bill picked Michael and Mariah up from the airport early that morning and now all they wanted to do was get back to their bed.

“When we get in the house will you rub my feet?” Mariah asked.

Michael laughed. “No.”

She pouted. “You suck.”

Before he could respond, he heard shouting. “What is that?”

“Looks like y'all mamas getting into it.” Bill said.

Why is she even here? Michael thought.

“Not again.” Mariah rolled her eyes.

Michael frowned. “I'll handle this.”

Michael hopped out of the car and approached the two women.

Katherine swung her head around. “Baby!”

She ran up to him and hugged him. He didn’t hug her back.

Without looking at his own mother, he asked, “Pat what's going on?”

Pat scowled. “She's trying to come in and I told her to wait until you two got back.”

“Michael, tell that woman that this is your house.” Katherine commanded.

He sighed, rubbing his temples.

He slowly looked down at his mother and asked, “Why are you here, Mother?”

“I need to talk to you.” Katherine replied.

Bill helped Mariah out of the car. She quickly made her way over to them. “So what's going on now?”

“None of your business.” Katherine spat.

Mariah opened her mouth to speak, but Michael shook his head, silencing her.

“Michael, can we talk?” Katherine pressed.

He sighed. “Mother you can’t come over here disrespecting my wife and thinking I’m gonna just want to talk.”

Katherine took a deep breath. She shot a look at Mariah. “Sorry.” She flicked her eyes back up at Michael. “Now can we talk?”

Michael contemplated for a moment. “You have to make it quick.” He raised his voice. “John, open the gate.”

Mariah made a face. “I think I'm gonna go hang with my mom for a little bit.”

He pecked her lips. “Okay.”

Michael turned back to his mother and led her towards the main house.

“What do you want, Mother?” Michael asked as the two walked a trail up to the main house.

“I want my Michael back.”

Michael crossed his eyes.

“Michael don’t do that to me. I’m serious. I just want you to stop ignoring me. Call me and let me know how you’re doing, like you used to.” She said.

You mean like before you humiliated me and mocked the greatest losses of my life?

Michael shoved his hands into his pockets.

Katherine continued. “Listen baby, I’m sorry. I just can’t deal with her.”

“Why, mother? You can’t deal with anyone I love.”

“Don’t start that Michael. You know that I tried with her. You hear, boy?”

“Yes mother but that doesn’t make it any less true is all I’m saying.” He explained.