Chapter 97

January 7th, 2000

A week had gone by since the party and Michael was still recovering from what Janet described as a 'Level 13 emotional breakdown'. The woman took it upon herself to gather the family at Neverland to take care of their brother. Marlon arrived from Atlanta earlier that morning, full well knowing he could possibly be in California for the next month if Michael was as bad as Janet suggested.

"It's pretty bad this time, y'all. He looks like the crypt keeper." Janet explained.

Rebbie slowly shook her head. "We should get him to a hospital."

"They'd put him in an institution." Randy commented.

"Well they don't have to know why he's there. Just as long as they get him on an IV." Rebbie rebutted.

"You think they wouldn't do a psych test?" Randy questioned. "Do you really think that, Rebbie?"

Rebbie massaged her temples. "Look, I don't know, okay? I'm just suggesting something. I mean if he won't even eat-"

"Can you all keep your voices down?" Janet started. "He can hear you."

Jackie huffed. "He doesn't need to be going through this. He's got three kids."

"He can't help it, Jackie." Marlon remarked.

"That's right." Latoya interrupted. "He's not askin for it. You know he needs help."

"That's not even what I'm saying!" Jackie shouted. Janet cut him a look and he promptly lowered his voice to a whisper. "What I'm saying is, I wish he could get better for them babies."

"He needs to get better for himself." Rebbie said.

"Well that'll only happen if we help him the way he needs to be helped." Janet replied.

Jermaine butted in. "Well that can't happen if we don't even know why he's like this."

Rebbie took a deep sigh.

"I'm gonna go up there and find out."

Marlon noticed Janet's eyes widen in fear and sent her a look that read 'what do you know?'

Rebbie jumped up from her place on the rocking chair and stormed up the stairs to the second floor of the master suite.

Tito came into the room with a sandwich in his hand, Mariah right behind him with a tray of food and beverages.

"You guys hungry?" Mariah asked.

"Sure." Marlon spoke up.

Mariah sat the tray down on the nightstand. "Take what you like."

Marlon and Randy rushed over to the tray while Mariah plopped down on the bed.

"Any news?" She asked.

Marlon bit down into his sandwich, making his way back over to his chair.

Janet shook her head. "Nah, Rebbie just went up there."

"What about the girls?" Latoya asked. "They sleep?"

Mariah nodded. "It's hard to get them to sleep now. They just wanna see Michael all day. 'Where daddy? Where daddy?' they ask me. And I don't know what to say. 'Daddy's sleepy right now, he has a cold.' They still wanna see him."

Marlon put his sandwich down on the paper towel in his lap. "Have they seen him at all?"

Mariah shook her head. "I really don't want them seeing their dad like that."

Janet, the only person besides Mariah and now Rebbie that had seen him, spoke up. "I understand. They don't need to see him like that."

"Gosh, is it that bad?" Latoya questioned.