Chapter 5

August 4th, 1996

Mariah couldn't describe how happy she was to be back at Neverland. She never thought she would be happy with being away from New York, but she felt more at home at Neverland than she did in the city she had grown up in.

On a more positive note, she was looking forward to Janet coming to visit when she met with her wedding planner. With Michael focused on the finishing touches of his tour, she had decided to throw herself into wedding planning. She had an idea of what she wanted, she just need help with the execution.

She had also come to another realization: she'd have to speak to her mother sooner or later. She couldn't imagine having her wedding without her mom by her side. Katherine, Michael's mother, would be coming over with Janet and though she was sweet enough, she couldn't replace Mariah's own mother.

The media was dragging her mother through the mud along with Tommy. She was being accused of selling Mariah to Tommy and Mariah couldn't refute the claim herself. Her mother had testified against her, saying that Tommy had been a good husband and he had bought her a house and paying her an allowance. Her mother had sold the condo that Mariah had bought her and been taking the money that Mariah had been sending every month for upkeep. Her own mother played her.

She threw her hair up into a high ponytail and went downstairs. Michael had left by the time she woke up that morning, but she noticed that he had left breakfast for her.

He's so sweet.

She unwrapped the plate and put it in the microwave. She had about an hour and a half before everyone came over and she decided to take time to reflect. She was actually about to make it down the aisle this time. It had been a long journey from being that nervous twenty year old in the Sony lobby to who she was now. She and Michael had been through a lot in the past six years and she was grateful that she was being given a second chance at love with Michael.

The microwave beeped and she pulled the plate out. Michael had fixed blueberry crepes, eggs, bacon, and potatoes. It was one of her favorite meals, but she felt like she should've been dieting so that she could fit into the wedding dress she hadn't chosen yet. She decided to eat the breakfast and skip out on lunch.

By the time she finished her breakfast, Janet, Latoya and Katherine came skipping into the kitchen.

"Good morning." Mariah chirped, getting up to hug them.

Janet looked around. "Where's Mike?"

Mariah shrugged."Oh, he's at the arena checking out some stuff with the show. He left before I got up, but he said he'd back before the wedding planner got here."

Latoya grinned. "This is exciting."

Janet scoffed. "Girl, I won't be excited until the wedding day."

"Yeah, right." Latoya rolled her eyes and turned to Mariah. "She's excited."

Mariah giggled. "I know she is. That's because she knows she's going to be my maid of honor."

"Wait what?" Janet raised an eyebrow. "I didn't agree to that."

Mariah folded her arms. "Okay, tell me no."

Janet laughed. "Just because I said I didn't agree to it doesn't mean I don't want to do it."

"That's what I thought. Let's go out on to the gazebo, I already told Wayne to bring the wedding planner out there when she gets here." Mariah explained and led them outside.

They each took a seat and Mariah smiled at Michael's mother. "How have you been Ms. Katherine?"

"I've been wonderful, baby. How are you? Are you excited?" She asked.