Chapter 61

May 22nd, 1998

It was a long ride back to the condo from Sony HQ. After Michael took it upon himself to beat he and Mariah’s boss within an inch of his life, Mariah couldn’t help but feel confused and insecure about the state of her career.

“I can’t even look at you right now.” Mariah started, finally breaking the silence.

Michael sat as far away from Mariah as possible on the other side of the car. He just stared out of the window.

“Baby I’m sorry.” Michael said, his voice soft.

“You’re sorry? Michael what the hell are we gonna do when we’re broke with two kids and families to take care of? Did you think about that?” Mariah questioned.

“I didn’t mean for it to go that-”

“Oh stop it! You can’t control yourself, Michael! You react and you don’t even think!”

“I did it for you.” He explained.

“For me? For me? No Michael, you did it for yourself!” She shouted.

“What was I supposed to do?” Michael asked, exhausted eyes peering out of the window. “Watch him beat your ass?”

“I can handle myself!”

Michael snapped his head around to face Mariah. “No you can’t!”

Bill, in the front passenger seat while Wayne drove, looked back at them.

Mariah glared at the much older man. “We’re good.”

“You sure? Because the last time y’all did this in a car-”

“We’re good, Bill.” Michael interrupted.

Bill shrugged and shook his head, turning back around in his seat.

Mariah huffed. “You’re fucking ridiculous Michael. I don’t even know how to even begin- We have children Michael.”

Michael closed his eyes and tilted his head back.

“Oh so you’re not gonna say anything?”

“What do I have to say, Mariah?” Michael responded, cooly. “I fucked up. But I did it for a good reason-”

Here we go. Mariah threw her hands up in irritation.

“He could have hurt you and then my kids would’ve been without a mother. What was I supposed to do?” Michael said.

“Oh so if Nicki and Noni weren’t here you would’ve just let him beat my ass, huh?”

Michael, eyes still closed and tone still eerily calm, shook his head. “I did not say that.”

“Okay well you implied it, how bout that?” Mariah replied.

Michael sighed. “I can’t win for losing. I don’t even know why you’re mad-”

“Because it’s my career, Michael!”

Michael’s eyes snapped open as he moved over into Mariah’s personal bubble.

“Fuck your career!” Michael shouted. “Fuck it! I don’t care, Mariah! I don’t give a damn if you ever worked again! You’re not doing anything life changing, you’re just pumping out your best imitation of Minnie Riperton! Humble yourself!”

“You humble yourself, Michael! You know what men would do to be with me? I am a superstar Michael, deal with it. Or is that your problem? You can’t handle the fact that you’re with a woman that can actually compete with you?”