Chapter 103

May 20th, 2000

Michael was on his way to Encino to spend some time with his family. Rebbie and Latoya's birthday had just passed so he wanted to pass off a gift to Latoya and possibly see Rebbie as well.

He walked up to the door and used his key to get inside.

“Who is that?” A voice called out from the living room.

“It's Michael.” Michael called back as he walked towards the living room.

When he made it, he noticed something...odd.

Sitting in a semicircle, Joseph, Katherine, Latoya, Jackie, and Rebbie were all in the living room as if they'd been waiting for him.

Michael took a step back. “Hey everyone. What's going on?”

Rebbie gestured towards the empty sofa chair. “Take a seat Mike. We wanna talk to you.”

Michael froze--part of him curious, part of him ready to bolt out of the door and go home.

“Mike?” Jackie prompted, nodding his head towards the chair.

Michael slowly lowered himself into the chair as if at any moment metal restraints would burst out and bind him to it.

“What do you want to talk to me about?” He asked, locking eyes with his mother.

They all remained quiet, glancing at each other as if no one wanted to bring up the issue they wanted to talk to him about.

Finally, Rebbie started. “We want to talk to you about your…”

Michael raised an eyebrow at her, dreading what was to come.

“...episode a few months ago.”

Michael looked away from his family. “What do you mean?”

Jackie spoke up next. “Mike, you know what we're talking about. You weren't talking, you weren't eating or nothing. What was that about?”

“Let's not forget those dolls.” Latoya added.

Michael visibly tensed, causing Latoya to change her approach.

“We're just concerned, that's all.” She commented.

Michael narrowed his eyes at them. “I'm fine-”

Now.” Rebbie interjected. “What about next time?”

“There won't be a next time. I'm telling you, I'm fine.” Michael insisted.

Jackie looked skeptical. “You’ve said that before, and from what your wife said, this ain't the first time you've done this since you've been with her. What made you get like that this time?”

Rebbie rolled her eyes at Jackie. “We know what causes it. It's that woman-”

Michael chewed his lip in frustration. “Rebbie stop it. I told you all that's done.”

Latoya started again. “Michael we just want you to talk to someone-”

“I'm not going to see a therapist.” Michael spat, cutting a glare at his sister.

Rebbie shook her head. “Not a therapist. A spiritual advisor so you can deal with those demons in your head.”

Michael rolled his eyes, nearly glowering. “Whose idea was this?”

“Michael we're trying to help you.” Latoya said.

Katherine decided to speak. “I just thought it would be good for you to talk to some of the elders-”