Chapter 111

January 1st, 2001

Michael was in the studio with Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds working on a song he'd written for his children. He had worked and reworked the song for his three girls and was finally satisfied with what he came up with. But he still felt uneasy with it--his conversation with Mariah was weighing heavily in his mind.

How did I slip up like that? He thought to himself, as he mumbled through some lines from "You Are My Life".

He never meant to deceive his wife, but he didn't feel like it was necessary for her to know. It was a painful memory for him and he would try to avoid Rosslyn's existence at all costs.

Until now.

Now it seemed like his lost daughter seemed to wrap herself in his every thought. Everything about her, from the moment he found out her mother was pregnant, came rushing back.

"I don't know...I just want this next one to be bigger and better. I've already recorded a few demos--I've got this one called "Al Capone" that I really like." Michael started, tossing a jellybean into his mouth from a small pouch that sat on the soundboard.

"Michael, you need to stop worrying about all of that, baby. Take a breather." Diana replied.

The two lounged in Diana's home studio in Los Angeles, sharing a giant bag of candy. Michael worried himself with his upcoming album, simultaneously afraid and ecstatic to build something to eclipse Thriller. Meanwhile, Diana seemed out of it--like her head just wasn't present in the moment.

Michael clicked his lips between jellybeans. "Diane- What's wrong? You're usually more than happy to talk about my music. Now you're just all distant and stuff."

Diana, despondent, pursed her lips together.

Michael stretched his arm around her--stroking her shoulder.

"You gonna tell me?" He pressed.

She opened her mouth...but closed it again.

He smiled, leaning over to kiss her cheek. "You know what? You can tell me on your own-"

"I'm pregnant."

Michael involuntarily jerked back, tossing his jellybean package on the soundboard. "You're-"

"Pregnant." She reiterated, sharply turning her head toward him.

Michael slid his hand off her shoulder and down to her thigh. He absently caressed her--the two insistent upon a staring contest up top.

She broke away first.

"So... No album. No tour. No appearances." She continued.

Michael released a breath he hadn't realized he was holding.

"Is it-" He started, stammering over his words like always when he was afraid. "Is it mine-"

Diana shot a glare at him, cutting off his line of thought. He couldn't help but feel stupid for even asking.

She propped her elbows up on the soundboard, her head slowly bobbing from left to right.

He nodded, anxiously. "O-okay. I didn't mean- I just- I want to be sure...I-" He chuckled, nervously. "I'm not very good at this-"

"Exactly."

Michael raised an eyebrow. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I don't think you should be in her life."