Chapter 60

May 15th, 1998

Mariah was in New York working on songs for a new album. Ever since Tommy came to the studio a few weeks prior, she was on edge. She ended up writing a gamut of new songs, most of which ended up being thrown away.

Ring.

Ring.

Mariah glanced over at the phone, tempted to ignore it and keep working.

Ring.

She sighed and picked up her cell phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey baby sister.”

Mariah managed a smirk. “What's up Alison?”

“Um, have you heard from mom? It's been over a month since I’ve heard from her.”

“So?” Mariah shrugged flippantly.

Alison sighed. “Come on Mariah. I know you're mad, but-”

“Alison, I don't think you understand what I'm going through because of the shit she's doing.”

“Woah, I know you better calm that tone down.” Alison shot back.

Mariah took a deep breath. “I'm sorry. I'm just under a lot of stress right now: Tommy and work, Michael at home, and then Morgan...I'm just tired. I'm not worried about mom's ass.”

“Mariah-”

Mariah continued. “Not after everything she's pulled. I'm over her, as far as I'm concerned that's not my mom.”

“Well damn. I guess I'll talk to you later then.”

Mariah sighed. “Mhm.”

May 15th, 1998

Pat had been in hiding since her hotel room was broken into. She was constantly on the move, even taking up an alias when signing into hotels. At this point, she was staying in a grimy motel room in New Jersey.

Sitting in the middle of the floor, Pat carefully pulled out a silver case.

She went for a large, heavy, canvas bag on top of the dresser. She emptied the contents of the bag next to the silver case. Two Swiss Knives, several containers of pepper spray, a box of medium-sized rubber gloves, a small box of plastic food storage bags, hand sanitizer, a two pound iron weight, and a police-grade taser splayed out across the floor. She pulled on a pair of gloves and picked out each weapon that would fit into the food storage bag and placed them into the bag. She threw that bag on the bed. She unboxed the taser and sat it next to the silver case. Opening both ends of the case, she was met with the glisten of a silver, Smith & Wesson 9mm pistol. Next to the pistol was a large compartment for her taser. She inserted the taser into the box and quickly closed it.

Pat had never used a gun before and the very sight of it freaked her out. Though, she felt like she’d need it since she was on the run from a very prominent real estate tycoon with dangerous ties.

She sat back and took a deep sigh, thoughts racing through her head. She figured she’d turn on the TV to help relax her mind.

The thirty eight year old model skipped out on his arraignment, delaying any progress on a Grand Jury hearing.”

The news station showed a picture of Morgan’s face in conjunction with Pat’s now crispy home, as they continued to report on his unknown whereabouts.

What the hell? Not Morgan.

Pat wiped the sweat off her face. She couldn’t believe that her very own son could’ve been behind it all.