Chapter 11

November 26th, 1996

Michael shook his head. "Wayne, you're joking. Is it Mariah?"

Wayne shook his head. "No sir. It's really Ms. Presley."

Michael walked past him and there stood Lisa Marie, quietly observing the stage hands preparing the stage for the show. When she saw him she smiled briefly until she caught sight of his annoyed facial expression. He was less than a month away from marrying the love of his life and Lisa Marie had the audacity to show her face.

"Why are you here?" 

She gripped his hand. "She can't love you like I can."

"Lisa-"

She shook her head. "No, Michael give me another chance. I'll give you nine children, just one more-"

"No!" He pulled away. "Lisa, I'm with Mariah now and I'm not leaving her."

Lisa folded her arms. "You really expect me to believe that you don't want me anymore?"

"I don't want you anymore. I signed the divorce papers, we're done."

Lisa rolled her eyes. "Done until she leaves you again when shit gets tough, huh?"

"We're getting married and you're gonna accept that." He immediately regretted admitting that to Lisa, but he had to find a way to get her off his back. 

Lisa scoffed. "Yeah, right. You're still in love with me, that's why you can't look at me."

He looked up and caught her gaze. "I'm not in love with you and last time I checked, you left me. So why are you here? I guess Danny didn't want you back."

She looked stung. "So that's how you really feel?"

"Yeah. That's how I feel. You need to go." He said sternly. 

Lisa sighed. "Fine, have it your way for now. You'll be calling me soon."

"Yeah right." 

He watched as Lisa walked around the corner and let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. He didn't mean to be so harsh, but he wasn't going to let anyone come between him and his happiness. She claimed she would have his baby, just like she did before. He wasn't trying to fall back in that trap again, he couldn't trust her. He trusted Mariah, and that was what mattered the most to him.

November 28th, 1996

Mariah had agreed to see her mother  before the wedding to settle their differences, but she wasn't looking forward to seeing her again. After seeing her sit in a courtroom with her abuser, there wasn't much Mariah had to say. She couldn't imagine having a wedding without her mother there, but she didn't really know if she considered her a mother.

She waited for Bill to escort her mother in with a quiet resignation. She picked up her tea cup and took a sip, frowning at the lukewarm drink.

Her back straightened as she heard footsteps approaching her and before she was ready, her mother was sitting across from her.

"Mariah." She said quietly.

Mariah forced a smile. "Hi mom. How was the flight?"

"It was comfortable." She said. "Can't complain about first class."

Mariah nodded slowly. "You're right. I guess after all those years, it's only natural that you'd chase luxury. By any means necessary I guess."

"Don't be like that Mariah."

Mariah shrugged. "Be like what? Angry that you sold me to an abuser? No you're right, I shouldn't be like this. Mom, how are you?"

Pat sighed. "Mariah, I was trying to protect you."

"You never protected me before. Why now? Because he bought you. He bought you and you sold me. It was a transaction for you so that you could keep the lifestyle. Not realizing that me and Michael are both set for life." Mariah snapped.

"You really think your career was going to survive those allegations? You would've been married to a pedophile."

Mariah picked up her mug and threw the tea in her mother's face. "Don't you ever call him that."

Pat, now drenched in cold tea, looked at Mariah in horror. "So you choose a man over me?"

"Just like you did to me." Mariah said quietly as she went over to the counter. "Here's your invitation. I don't care whether or not you show up, Michael wants you there."

She unceremoniously dropped the card on the table and then turned to Bill who had been there during the entire conversation. "Bill, please escort her out."

December 8th, 1996

"Who's the bride?" A pianist came over to the group of them. 

Mariah raised her hand shyly. "I am."

He took her hand and brought Mariah onstage. Mariah believed that she was in a jazz club, though her face read confusion as the pianist lifted her up and placed her on the piano. Her jaw dropped when the music started and he began to peel off his clothes.

Mariah's eyes darted to them. "Janet!"

Janet giggled. "Just relax and enjoy."

Janet was in the strip club with Mariah and her other bridesmaids: Latoya, Rebbie, their niece Stacee, Mariah's friends Rachel and Da Brat. Alejandra was another of Mariah's bridesmaids, but Janet felt like she needed to be at home with her and Jermaine's six month old son, rather than at a strip club.

Her brothers were in Japan with Michael, since he and Mariah were having their parties on the same night. Marlon had warned Janet that the night was going to get wild so Janet had to ensure that Mariah had a sufficient hangover the next morning, not that she planned on doing any less for Mariah than he was doing for Michael.

The dancer had picked up Mariah and was rolling his hips against hers, while Janet sat back laughing at her timid reactions. Other than Michael, Janet didn't think Mariah had any good experiences with men so she was Mary Poppins in a way.

Latoya leaned over. "She is terrified."

Janet shrugged. "She'll be okay. Just gotta get some liquor in her."

Around four in the morning, Janet, Mariah, and Latoya stumbled into Neverland and collapsed in the middle of the living room floor giggling.

Mariah shook her arm. "Jan-Jan, I want ice cream."

Janet shook her head, her head feeling heavier than normally. "No, you...you don't need any of that."

Mariah pouted. "This is my man's house. I want some damn ice cream."

Bill sighed, shaking his head. "Come on ladies."

He helped them each up to their feet and guided them to the master bedroom where they all leaned back on the couch laughing.

Latoya looked at Mariah. "Michael is gonna be mad at you."

Mariah laughed. "I bet he did worse. What he don't know won't hurt him."

Janet rolled her eyes. "We're not gonna remember this tomorrow anyway."