Chapter 38

September 20th, 1997

Janet and Mariah were up early trying to get decorations together for Michael's party. Janet was setting up party favors while Mariah was sitting on the other side of the kitchen blowing up balloons.

"Jan, can we switch?" Mariah whined.

Janet shook her head, popping an extra piece of candy in her mouth. "Why?"

"I'm lightheaded. I told you these babies are taking all my oxygen." She explained.

Janet smiled. "Just make Marlon do it when he gets here."

Mariah sighed in relief as she finished her last balloon. "Why didn't we get helium balloons?"

Janet laughed. "Oh well. Oh, Tito should be here soon with the cake."

"Oh good. Just hide it from me, girl all I've been eating is junk." Mariah giggled.

"I noticed. You're twice the size you were last week. You look like you twelve months pregnant."

Mariah started cracking up. "I hate you."

"No you don't."

"I know." Mariah looked down at her stomach. "I can't wait to see the look on Mike's face."

"Me either. That's why Randy's gonna record it."

"Hey y'all!" Marlon called out.

"Hey." Janet responded, finishing up the party favors.

Marlon stopped to get a good look at Mariah. "Man, he's gonna freak out." He laughed.

"We were just talking about that." Janet said. "Hey Marlon, can you go over there and tie those balloons down."

"Why didn't y'all just call some balloon people?" Marlon joked.

Mariah playfully narrowed her eyes. "Because we wanted to put some love into it."

Marlon helped Mariah out of her chair so she could get the balloon weights from the drawer on the other side of the room.

"Here." She pushed the weights into his arms. "Tie these."

Janet snickered and stood there, watching her brother, before starting on some other decorations.

They all worked in silence for a moment until Mariah spoke up. "Hey Marlon?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know why Mike wears those masks?" Mariah asked.

Janet peeked up at Mariah, in curiosity.

"Which ones?" He responded.

"They're like surgical masks."

Oh hell.

Marlon thought for a moment.

Janet began to sweat.

"Nah, I don't know."

Good.

Mariah started again. "Okay because I-"
"Marlon, do you know what happened at Mariah's album release party?" Janet interrupted.

Marlon shook his head. "What happened?"

Mariah rolled her eyes. "Her and Rebbie came in saying I'm cheating on Mike. Then Rebbie demanded the keys to my house and our moms started arguing. I just had to go home after that."

Marlon shook his head. "Not mother."

Mariah nodded. "Yes, your mother. I really don't understand what her issue is, but that was uncalled for."