Chapter 33

July 11th, 1997

Lately Michael was reaching out to Mariah less than usual. She spent all of her time not talking to Michael worrying about him, and the few conversations they did manage to have were awkward and short.

She called his cell phone and was surprised when he answered.

"Yes?" Michael said.

"Hey, baby! I've been trying to catch up with you."

"Well I've been busy." He replied, clearly disinterested.

Mariah sighed, a somber look growing on her face. "I know, but I really miss you." She paused, hoping he'd say the same.

But he didn't.

"Well I'm going to Puerto Rico soon to film my new music video!" She continued.

"Have fun." He replied.

"Is that all you have to say?" She asked, politely.

"Yeah and be safe. But um...I'm on the phone with Diane right now. I'll call you back later, okay?"

Mariah went quiet for a moment, her sadness quickly turning into fury. Still, she maintained her reserve. "Okay well can we just-"

"She's busy Mariah. This is the only time I can talk to her so I have to go."

Mariah squeezed the phone. "Okay I love-"

Click.

"You."

She slammed the phone down on the hook repeatedly until it nearly broke. She stormed into the bedroom and ripped all the sheets of the bed, shouting, "That motherfucker!"

She picked up books and magazines and picture frames and threw them all over the room. "Who the fuck does he think he is?" She ran into the closet, picked out a very specific small box filled with his personal belongings and carried it into the living room. She pulled out some of his most precious clothing items and poured bleach all over them on the wooden part of the floor. She ran into the kitchen and walked back out with a match ready to light when-

"Mariah!"

Pat came flying into the living room. "Oh my god, what are you doing? What the hell happened in here?"

Mariah shook her head, tears streaming down her face. "He thinks he can just do whatever the fuck he wants." Mariah explained, still trying to light the match. "Fuck my feelings, right? So fuck him and fuck his shit too." Mariah yelled. "Fuck his demon ass sister and that walking piece of dog shit he calls a brother."

Pat looked at her in shock.

Mariah continued. "Ignore my calls for her. I hope she break his heart again. Dumb ass. She doesn't even love him."

The match finally lit and Pat grabbed her hand before she could throw it. "Mariah, stop it." She demanded.

Mariah took a deep breath and started crying. "Why is he treating me like this? Like he doesn't give a fuck that I'm his wife."

Pat sighed. "What did he do?"

"He's been ignoring me. He doesn't take my calls most of the time and when he does he acts like he doesn't even want to talk to me. Just now he hung up on me to talk to Diana Ross." She paused for a second letting herself cry out. "Mom he doesn't tell me he loves me. And you know what? I'm always there for him. Whenever he needs me! When he's sick I take care of him. He fainted on stage the other day from overworking himself and even though I've been stressed out too I was ready to fly my ass over to god knows where to be with him. He didn't even want me to! And when he's hurting and stuff with his family I help him through it. And you know what else? Sometimes I even let him- Well when we're-" She paused, remembering who she was talking to.