Chapter 24

March 11th, 1997

Mariah rolled over on the floor and looked at the large wall clock just over the pool table. It was ten in the morning and she had nowhere to be. She looked over by the stairs that led to the bedroom where Michael lay with his eyes wide open. She sat straight up to get a better view. Michael looked over at her. His hair was unkempt and he was wearing the same clothes as the day before. The two stood up and walked single file up the stairs to the bedroom.

Michael walked into the bathroom with Mariah following close behind. He went over to the toilet and closed the door behind him while she looked at herself in the mirror. She heard the toilet flush and walked over to it. Michael threw the door open and she jumped back, the door almost hitting her toe.

"Sorry!" He shouted nervously.

She looked down at her toe with a shy smile on her face. "It's okay, it's okay."

He stooped down to examine her toe. Once he determined she wasn't hurt he darted back up, flashed his eyes at her, and hurried over to the sink to wash his hands. She squatted over the toilet and left the door open behind her. She stared at him while he washed his face, noticing how he didn't even look at himself in the mirror. When she was finished, she flushed the toilet and got up to wash her hands.

They stood next to each other at the vanity brushing their teeth and passing curious looks through the mirror so the other wouldn't notice. When he finished brushing, Michael picked up the Listerine and made a sour face to prepare himself for the mouth rinse. She stared at him and giggled as he cringed swishing the strong minty liquid around his mouth. He closed his eyes and spat out the mouthwash, dry heaving from disgust. She smiled, shook her head, and gargled her mouthwash.

Michael headed over to the shower and took his shirt off. She eyed him intently before doing the same. He looked over at her, confused. She looked down shyly and they stripped the rest of their clothes off in unison. He stepped into the shower and she followed him.

They stood there, awkwardly, before she grabbed her soap and lathered her body. He stared at her in awe of her beauty. He tapped her arm and pointed at his soap dish behind her. She handed him the bar and he washed his body with it. She turned around and bent over to pick up her loofah. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed him quickly turned around to conceal his growing erection.

She stood up, turned towards him and tapped him on the shoulder to get him to turn around before squeezing behind him to pick up her shampoo. She closed her eyes and washed her hair, trying hard not to elbow him in the face. He did the same before reaching around her to shut the water off.

Michael opened the shower door and they tried to step out at the same time. They looked at each other anxiously and he held his hand out. "You first."

She stepped out of the shower haphazardly and slipped on the hardwood floor. He caught her before she hit her head and held her up against him. She panicked and rushed over to her towel before quickly exiting the bathroom and slamming the door behind her. She stood on the opposite side of the bathroom door, closed her eyes, and sighed in relief. After their big fight and reconciliation, she felt like a deer in headlights around him. He gave her this clumsy schoolgirl with her high school crush feeling--like they were truly meeting for the first time.

March 14th, 1997

Earlier that morning, Michael received confirmation from Tommy that the two million Pat owed was placed in her old expense account. When he received the confirmation, he stepped outside the main house and walked about a for a while until he reached the petting zoo area. Ready to finally put an end to the situation, Michael called he and Mariah's personal accountant to have his cut of the money transferred to Pat's old expense account.